Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose Tour pak rack

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 03:37 AM
bdjhog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loose Tour pak rack

I just installed a solo tour-pak rack on my '06 Street Glide. There seems to be a lot of play in it forward and back. Is this typical or do I need to adjust something? Thanks.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:19 AM
14/88trucker
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is tight, it should not move. you may want to throw some rubber washers under the mounting locations.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:38 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this a detachable rack?

Old 11-02-2010, 12:41 PM
bdjhog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Teachu2
Is this a detachable rack?
Yes it is a detachable rack. The rack itself is what is loose, there is a little fore and aft movement at the securing points. The rear release points are fully engaged, but if I put a little pressure on the trunk, i.e. lean back against it, it will move. The trunk mounted to the rack is solid.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:14 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bdjhog
Yes it is a detachable rack. The rack itself is what is loose, there is a little fore and aft movement at the securing points. The rear release points are fully engaged, but if I put a little pressure on the trunk, i.e. lean back against it, it will move. The trunk mounted to the rack is solid.
I don't think this happens often for a new install, but the docking bushings can wear in time causing this. I would remount the bushings where they attach to the frame and see if there is some space in the hole where you can move them closer together. If so you may be able to get them to fit tighter.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:36 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior

I had a '07 RG with the detachable tourpack. All the pre-'09s have the same problems as it's a poor design and worse execution. The front mounts are steel slots sliding over a steel bushing with a rubber insert in between, and they will wear thru the rubber. The rears will wear thru the bushing. Even worse - the tolerances are huge, as these racks are made all over the world in sub-standard fashion. That results in some tight fits, some very loose ones.

Gilbos sells aluminum replacement bushings, but he still has to make them undersized to fit the narrow-slotted racks. Even if they fit tight initially, a steel rack vibrating on an aluminum bushing wears substantially in not very many miles. So you rotate the bushing and wear it someplace else....

I finally ordered some Delrin plastic stock and turned my own bushings on my lathe - Gilbos' idea but with better material. I also had the rack right there, so they were custom-fit to match. That virtually eliminated the slop, and Delrin is used to make bushings for industrial machinery (replaces bronze and wears much better). I made a set for another guy here on HDF, and he has 10k miles and an accident that destroyed his original tourpack on them - still nice and snug.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:19 PM
bdjhog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Teachu2
I had a '07 RG with the detachable tourpack. All the pre-'09s have the same problems as it's a poor design and worse execution. The front mounts are steel slots sliding over a steel bushing with a rubber insert in between, and they will wear thru the rubber. The rears will wear thru the bushing. Even worse - the tolerances are huge, as these racks are made all over the world in sub-standard fashion. That results in some tight fits, some very loose ones.

Gilbos sells aluminum replacement bushings, but he still has to make them undersized to fit the narrow-slotted racks. Even if they fit tight initially, a steel rack vibrating on an aluminum bushing wears substantially in not very many miles. So you rotate the bushing and wear it someplace else....

I finally ordered some Delrin plastic stock and turned my own bushings on my lathe - Gilbos' idea but with better material. I also had the rack right there, so they were custom-fit to match. That virtually eliminated the slop, and Delrin is used to make bushings for industrial machinery (replaces bronze and wears much better). I made a set for another guy here on HDF, and he has 10k miles and an accident that destroyed his original tourpack on them - still nice and snug.
I took a closer look at where the slop is coming from and it is indeed at the rear docking points. The detachable rack is new, but the docking bushings are going on 5 years old. I removed one of them and there is obvious wear on it. Fortunately the new rack came with a new set of bushings. Only problem is that they are drilled for 5/16" and the hardware currently on the bike is 3/8" so off to home depot I go. Hopefully be replacing the bushings I'll get a better fit. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I love this forum!

BTW, any interest in making another set of Delrin bushings?

Old 11-03-2010, 07:29 PM
bdjhog
Road Captain

Just to update this thread. I swaped out the docking bushings and I still have the movement. I have a sneaking suspicion that that rack is aftermarket and not a genuine HD product (bought this off of Ebay) and that the securing mechanism is just a bit larger than the OEM stuff. I'm going to see if I can purchase just the securing "hinges" from the dealer and see if that makes a difference. If not then I'll probably see the rack on Ebay and buy a Harley one. As it is I can still ride with it, but I'm particular about my bike and this will bother me if left alone. Thanks again for the advice and suggestions.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:01 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior

Even the "genuine" HD ones have substantial variance. Ride the bike over to the dealer and try another rack on it.

If you have a precision measuring device (dial caliper from HF works fine) and can give me the diameter you need, I can whip you up some delrin ones. Mine were .030 larger than stock, and I did a set for another member that were +.045 or so.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:15 AM
spider0
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem with mine

Quick Reply: Loose Tour pak rack