Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

download and filter upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 02:10 PM
tstidfole
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default download and filter upgrade questions

I have a 2009 street glide with monster rounds, i have been told to get a download by dealer and a air filter upgrade. i am happy with the performance now. would i be throwing money away or will this be a new bike as they say? i would always like to have more power. any input out there? thanks

Old 10-31-2010, 03:05 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My understanding is that you don't need a download if you've just installed aftermarket slip-ons. You will, however, if you go to a stage 1 air filter. Either a download or, preferably an EFI tuner.

Dealers charge ~$150 for a download. If it works well for you, great. If not... oh well. It's a one-time deal. Possible downsides could include popping on deceleration.

It would be an exaggeration to say that a download will result in a 'new bike' IMO.

Last edited by pargenz; 10-31-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:08 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

Originally Posted by tstidfole
I have a 2009 street glide with monster rounds, i have been told to get a download by dealer and a air filter upgrade. i am happy with the performance now. would i be throwing money away or will this be a new bike as they say? i would always like to have more power. any input out there? thanks
I had mine done a couple of weeks ago. Stage 1 upgrade, reflashed the ECM module with the Harley one. Total cost was $300.00. No popping etc.... Runs like before the reflash. Does not run out of air through the range. It climbs right up to the new redline of 6200 rpm with no feeling of running out of air. Feels more resposive in all areas. Do I feel it was worth it yes!! Stock pipes. That reflash is for stock mufflers and any screaming eagle ones. Stock FL are larger then the ones on softails so they tolerate the upgrade well. I think that there is a different reflash for the softail models.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:18 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If that's all you plan to do is a stage1 a/f to go with the pipes you already have. It's a good way to go for more throttle response. You are not getting the full benefit of the pipes like it is now. If you like the power now, you will be pleasantly surprised with the increase with the A/F too. Plus you'll stay in the good graces of the Dealer. From the word I'm getting from Dealer's in my area, the MoCo is cracking down on non HD aftermarket add ons with warranty issues.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:41 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

09 Ultra. Added FuelMoto Dyno-tuned slip-ons a while ago and noticed a huge difference in sound; no difference in mpg or performance. Recently had the Stage 1 download and got a noticeable increase in throttle response and no loss of mpg. Bike seems happier in 6th gear - before had to be 65+ mph, flat road, no headwind. Waiting on my Stage 1 A/C Kit and anxious to see if there is any further improvement without loss of mpg. So far, all has been worth the $$$.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:24 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the PC-V and the downloads are free and as often as you want.
Jamie and Keith are good guys so don't buy from anyone except Fuel Moto

Old 10-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tstidfole
We had the HD download done when my wife had stage 1 done on her bike (V&H Big shot duals with SE AC). It didn't run very good. It ran sluggish. So we bought a HD SESPT and dyno tuned. It runs a lot better now and my wife is very happy. And she gets much better gas mileage now.

So instead of spending the $150 on a download plus labor to install, put that $150 towards a SESPT and dyno tune. Wait and get the SESPT when they have a 15 or 20 percent off sale at the dealership. The dyno tune should be $260 to $300. You will like the performance!

Old 11-03-2010, 10:47 PM
tstidfole
6th Gear

Thank you all! the download worked out fine. and i can actually ride in 6th gear now. it is a vast imxprovement. great site here.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

What's an SESPT? Sounds like a Screamin' Eagle something...? Is that the performance tuner by H-D that can be adjusted in fuel mixture, etc? I assume that's preferred in that the standard $150 download isn't adjustable at all. The SESPT you can have a tuner adjust it regardless of your set-up?

Thanks