Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy stand foward roll

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 12:18 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jiffy stand foward roll

How many find that roll forward on the jiffy stand bothersome? Unless the bike wants too roll back a little when you put it down that damn thing looks like hell when it starts rolling forward until it stops. Looks to me that a lot of the slop is in the square that is punched out in the little lock on top of the stand itself even though the bolt is tight on my 2010 it lets the bike roll forward enough that i am putting it in first gear before i let it down on the jiffy stand so it does not roll forward looking like it is going to strip that broached square out."I see a nut on earlier models that seems to be tighter in that area.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:23 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrolock43
How many find that roll forward on the jiffy stand bothersome? Unless the bike wants too roll back a little when you put it down that damn thing looks like hell when it starts rolling forward until it stops. Looks to me that a lot of the slop is in the square that is punched out in the little lock on top of the stand itself even though the bolt is tight on my 2010 it lets the bike roll forward enough that i am putting it in first gear before i let it down on the jiffy stand so it does not roll forward looking like it is going to strip that broached square out."I see a nut on earlier models that seems to be tighter in that area.
I rarely use neutral on my bike. Just like I put my car in PARK, I shut my bike off in 1st gear. Just a habit I got into to avoid the dreaded roll.

Also, it is much easier to find N before I start the bike.

Just the way I do things.

How do you do it?

Old 10-31-2010, 12:39 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The tolerances on the side stand locking tab have to be a little loose, or it would be too fussy about slotting into place. Lots of guys (myself included) have made a habit of leaving the bike in gear when parking.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Rmohd2
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy ride a Gold wing.. every time I get off my bike he half jumps towards it and then sais them darn harley kick stands..heehehee I just laugh. hope it never goes down or he will be laughing.......

Old 10-31-2010, 12:55 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Yeah, rolls forward a bit but it locks and has never had an issue. I think we worry too much.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrolock43
Jiffy stand down,wheel turned left all the way bike in neutral,no problems.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:02 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stand is one of the few things that Harley really got right, works perfectly and never had a problem. I'm not sure why anybody would want to park their bike in gear.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:05 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Somewhere on here quite some time ago there was a post showing how someone modified the tab on the stand so that it didn't do that. Essentially they were changing the angle that was cut into the tab.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:09 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jiffy stand

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
The tolerances on the side stand locking tab have to be a little loose, or it would be too fussy about slotting into place. Lots of guys (myself included) have made a habit of leaving the bike in gear when parking.
Most of the slop is the locking square not tight on the kickstand itself if you look at it. I cannot understand how it does not strip out that square it is so lose. Kind of reminds me of a made in Taiwan 3/8 ratchet and extension with a 1/4 hole drilled through the center to make it even weaker. Way more slack in the bolted on piece than the slot it locks in on the frame. Have to put it in gear as it looks like sooner than later that broached out square on top of the kickstand itself in going to strip out. Maybe just a tighter fit where it is bolted to the top of the kickstand would be much better?

Old 10-31-2010, 01:15 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 603 Likes on 352 Posts

the hd kick stands have been made like that for years. i've never heard of one breaking. you're thinking too much. it won't break or fail as long as you get the tab in the slot.

Quick Reply: Jiffy stand foward roll