Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy stand foward roll

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed my bike rolling a little further than normal and found the bolt holding the locking tab on loose. Tightened it up and it is back to only rolling an inch or so. I would recommend checking the bolt.

Last edited by Roadie09; 10-31-2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: too much Jack Daniels during the first post ;)
Old 10-31-2010, 06:05 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I leave my bike in 1st gear when parked. Sometimes when we ride with metric bikes, I'll leave it in neutral when I get off and watch some of the other riders jump to "save" my bike. I get a kick out of it.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:05 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default Forward roll

It's the little piece that is bolted on top of the kickstand itself on my bike. Where it locks into the frame mounted slot is a pretty good fit. if i look where all that forward roll is it's under the bolt on the 2010 Roadglide i have. It's a square punched out of the little piece on top of the kickstand itself. The bolt does nothing but hold that **** fitting piece on top off the kickstand and does nothing to take up that stupid slack in the square. I've looked at some earlier models with the nut on top of this piece and they are way beefier compared to mine with the bolt. No way near as much forward roll. And alot of the other models i looked at are not like the touring model jiffy stands and seem much tighter. Mine rolls so far foward if i don't lock it in first up against engine compression that i am just waiting for it to shear that sloppy square off. Bothered me since the day that they wheeled it out of the dealership

Old 10-31-2010, 07:17 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This past summer the wife backed out of the garage and bumped straight into my front tire.
Pushed the RG back about a foot and snapped the squared extension off the end of the jiffy stand that the leg stop sits on.
RG fell over onto the crash bars.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:33 PM
OilFieldBuyer
5th Gear

When I was in Alaska I took one of the ABATE/MSA refresher classes as one can never learn enough to ride safely. The instructor actually taught everyone that the best thing to do was shut the bike down and then put it in gear as this helps prevent the bike from rolling forward on the kick stand. The guy knew alot about riding and I have to hand it to him as it made complete sense. He demonstrated where someone leans against the bike or decides they want to sit on your Harley when you're inside eating - with it in gear, even if they jump on board, the chance of them dropping it because it moves forward on the jiffy stand is nil as long as its in gear. Just my two cents but I've been doing it ever since as he made a beliver out of me just with the demo.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:58 PM
GotHog?
Intermediate

I have had a couple of Harleys now and this stand seems to be way worse than on the others. I am sure it will hold but not going to push my luck, been leaving in gear and hitting neutral before starting.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:10 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

One solution is to buy a GoldWing and leave it parked in reverse

Old 10-31-2010, 08:46 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default proof of weak square there

Originally Posted by twodollarbill
This past summer the wife backed out of the garage and bumped straight into my front tire.
Pushed the RG back about a foot and snapped the squared extension off the end of the jiffy stand that the leg stop sits on.
RG fell over onto the crash bars.
I will be putting my bike up against the compression of the engine in first then pushing the jiffy stand up against the fully extended stop after seeing what that little square with the hole in it has done now. I figured that square would have stripped out ot the piece that goes over it before it broke the square with the hole in it off the jiffy stand but that is just as bad. Thanks for showing that little disaster fukin dealer says they push them all over the shop on the jiffy stand . I'll bet they do after seeing that.

Last edited by hydrolock43; 10-31-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:47 PM
RKC Traveler
Advanced

I've parked the bike in gear ever since the kick stand gave out in a parking lot shortly after I bought it. I had parked it in neutral on what to my eye appeared to be level ground but was actually a downhill slope. While removing my helmet I noticed the kick stand angling severly towards the back of the bike, obviously straining to hold the bike in place. At first I wasn't concened becasue the H-D kick stand had a "locking" mechanism and was made for this but it didn't look right at all. Just as I realized I should get back on the bike to move it the kick stand gave way and the bike dropped, giving me a nasty shin injuy on its way down. I later had the kick stand inspected by the dealer just to make sure it wasn't defective or damaged by this event and the service manager said it looked and worked fine. I nearly always park it in gear now and don''t trust my eye to determine if the parking surface is level or not.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:58 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default Yea Goldwing

Originally Posted by Slash
One solution is to buy a GoldWing and leave it parked in reverse
Why not just buy one and light it on fire in your garage

Quick Reply: Jiffy stand foward roll