Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone having trouble shifting on 2010?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 09:56 AM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anyone having trouble shifting on 2010?

I have about 3K miles on my 2010 EGC and always felt it did not shift right all the time, even after warmed up.. Mostly from 1st to 2nd and not all the time. Sometimes I get the clunk and shifts easy but other times it seems like you need to stuff it into place. The best I can explain it is sometimes the shifter will travel up a half inch or so and other times it feels like it moves very little but does go into gear. Sort of feels like shifting into sixth gear when you only had a 5 speed, after a while it is hard on the toe. Other times on the downshift it feels like two clunks as if it starts into the lower gear but needs a little pressure to finish. I put Redline, Royal Purple and Syn 3, not much difference in any. I will be taking it into the dealer this week but looking to see if anybody has already had this kind of issue. Thanks

Last edited by All Aces; 10-31-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

The only problem I'm having is the clutch lever is not smooth when pulling it in.Feels like it is racheting.Just had the 1K done on it also.
Going to take it back or just wait for my SM to get here next week and ill adjust the clutch myself.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:10 AM
CT-Bagger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds about right depending on how warmed up it is.
Change your lube to Amsoil 75W-140 extreme gear oil.
The six speeds have helical cut gears and need the extra film strength.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:12 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would do a simple clutch pack adjustment and see if that helps.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:21 AM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I should have added that I adjusted the clutch several times trying backing it out 1/2 turn, 3/4 turn and 1 full turn. If you can imagine what it would feel and sound like if two gears had a piece of thin material over it. Like it is too tight to fit but quiet also and only some of the time. Some days hardly at all and other days maybe 25 to 50% regardless of outside temp.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:40 PM
badjustbad
Tourer

I have a similar feel with the 3-4 and 4-5 shifts. Sometimes the shifter movement feels too short other times it feels right and sometimes it's almost impossible to find neutral. I have even had to use my hand to try and shift to neutral. I'll be asking them to check it at the 1K service on Tuesday. If they find anything I'll post it.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:46 PM
legendzzz
Road Master

I can not find neutral , it takes alot of time when I stop to get it , I am hoping as it wears in the Neutral will be easier to find?? I also have a clutch that has all the clutch on the last 1/4" ?? That takes some getting use to , I will have to adjust the clutch and hope that gets rid of it? How do you do the clutches adjustment? What does it help ? Thanks for those answers.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:50 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by legendzzz
I can not find neutral , it takes alot of time when I stop to get it , I am hoping as it wears in the Neutral will be easier to find?? I also have a clutch that has all the clutch on the last 1/4" ?? That takes some getting use to , I will have to adjust the clutch and hope that gets rid of it? How do you do the clutches adjustment? What does it help ? Thanks for those answers.
http://www.ehow.com/video_2330184_ad...utch-pack.html

Old 10-31-2010, 06:27 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I was using Amsoil 75-140, and had a ton of chatter and slip, as well as a very inconsistent pull. Switched to Drag Specialties Primary Fluid and most of my issues went away. I also stopped using 38 ounces and just fill to the bottom of the clutch. I still think there's an issue in there, bit it's much better than it was.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Dale_K
Tourer

No problems shifting from gear to gear but neutral is elusive. Funny because my former 2010 Dyna was as easy as a Honda as far as finding neutral and shifted great too. I guess the extra linkage on the touring bikes must be the issue.

Quick Reply: Anyone having trouble shifting on 2010?