Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG front brake lines.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 06:00 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SG front brake lines.

I want to change my front brake lines to wire braided, has anybody replaced there's and if so was it very difficult? Can the lines from the calipers to splitter be replaced or do they all have to be done? BTW, I have ABS. Thanks!

Old 10-31-2010, 07:43 AM
missile
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the deal with ABS. Look at Magnum brake lines they come in a 3 piece unit. One line will go from the master cylinder down in the fairing and connect up to another line(upper line) that will go to the ABS box under the side cover(middle line). The third line will go from the ABS box back to the front of the bike following the factory routing and mount under the lower triple tree just liked the factory set up and down to the calipers(lower line). What I really like about Magnum is that the third line is one piece you don't have to worry about it leaking under the triple tree like most kits. The second thing I like about Magnum is the fact that once you install this set up and you decide to change out the bars all you have to do is buy a new short line that goes from the master cylinder down into the fairing and hooks up to what they call the mid line. I bought mine through Dr. V-Twin and got the black pearl.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:25 AM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-31-2010, 10:11 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not clear on this but you might have to have the dealer use the Digital Tech on the ABS. I have bled my ABS with no problems but I understand that when changing the lines that go into the ABS module the dealer has to use the DT on it.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:48 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you do the swap, if it's soon, I might be interested in buyin yer old lines if you'd like to recover a bit of the cost for the swap...

Of course, I'd have to check to see if it would work on my old heap. I do think it's a good possibility...

Old 10-31-2010, 11:56 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just changed my brake lines when I did my bar swap. Everything missile says is correct. The upper line is modular (two piece) and the lower line is one piece. Got my lines from Lakeshore online for 20% off and they still cost me over $300. They look nice and should for that much money.

When you buy the top line from the master cylinder, there are some angle choices to make. I chose 90 degree so the line follows the bars better. I also got the matching clutch cable.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:15 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I went with Magnum, too.
I also have ABS.
I changed my lines, loaded the bike on the trailer, took it to the dealership and they were happy to bleed them for me using the Digital Technician.
I was charged for 1/2 hour labor and had no prob paying for it.

REMEMBER...if you change them yourself, you have DOT 4 in the lines. This stuff IS corrosive to paint! Cover everything!