Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Many Miles Before Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 02:53 PM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I put a grand on mine before I switched out the standard pipes for the new setup and had it dyno'ed. Dealer also thought at least 700...but preferred 1000 on it.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:07 PM
harry.b
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was broken in on the dyno. I really didn't have any other choice because the bike ran poorly with the "start up" map. No regrets. It is also a little reassuring that the engine didn't have any problems during the dyno. The tuner ran the engine to RPMs that I probably never will see.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:18 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by harry.b
Mine was broken in on the dyno. I really didn't have any other choice because the bike ran poorly with the "start up" map. No regrets. It is also a little reassuring that the engine didn't have any problems during the dyno. The tuner ran the engine to RPMs that I probably never will see.
Dangerous game, I don't care what anybody says. Your tuner took a risk with your bike "taking it to r's you'll never see" before the rings are fully seated. You got lucky, you got away with it, but it was a risk non the less. It hurts nothing to wait, yet some insist on doing it.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:57 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
Dangerous game, I don't care what anybody says. Your tuner took a risk with your bike "taking it to r's you'll never see" before the rings are fully seated. You got lucky, you got away with it, but it was a risk non the less. It hurts nothing to wait, yet some insist on doing it.
I agree completely. I don't get the rush. The break in debate has been going on for years and will continue to. I guess I don't see the harm in putting 1000 miles on a bike before tuning. In the 12 years our shops been dyno'ing, (average of 12 a week) we've had 1 bike come upart on us, we won't dyno a build with less than 500 miles on it if we built it, prefer 1000. And if we didn't build it they must sign a waiver so we're not respncible for something we didn't build. so far it's worked ou really good for us, so I can say we won't be changing our ways.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:14 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by harleytuner
I agree completely. I don't get the rush. The break in debate has been going on for years and will continue to. I guess I don't see the harm in putting 1000 miles on a bike before tuning. In the 12 years our shops been dyno'ing, (average of 12 a week) we've had 1 bike come upart on us, we won't dyno a build with less than 500 miles on it if we built it, prefer 1000. And if we didn't build it they must sign a waiver so we're not respncible for something we didn't build. so far it's worked ou really good for us, so I can say we won't be changing our ways.
And it ain't just a risk "coming apart", but also scoring the cylinders or welding the rings. I agree that it's a debate almost equal to the oil threads. The part I don't get is the urge to rush when there is no harm can be done from waiting. So easy to take the safer route. If one is worried about running lean, he can get a touchup tune with an exhaust sniffer at lower rpm.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:20 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

75,000. guess I just wanted to break her in first.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:47 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I thought there were safe ways to break a bike in on a dyno.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:57 PM
Faast Ed
Banned

Originally Posted by nvsteve
I thought there were safe ways to break a bike in on a dyno.

It's conveneint as hell. Many claims out there that it's a great way to do it. I don't trust that method, but that's just me.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:13 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by apolo07
my dealer said 1,000 miles but my bike runs so good now after stage 2 with 103 build and SE super tuner that i really do not see the need for a dyno. Why spend 350 dollars and give someone a chance to screw it up.
tts map,then maybe v-tune,then maybe dyno,thats my plan

Old 10-31-2010, 10:11 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Opinions ..... Aholes.... As the cliche goes.

May as well break it on on the Dyno where the operator can monitor afr & temps during the process.

You can do far more damage riding an untuned motor for "x" miles than would occur in the hands of a competent tuner on a Dyno.

If you don't get the rings properly seated right from the start, you may never get the seal you could have....

But, WTF do I know...????.....

Quick Reply: How Many Miles Before Dyno