Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of you using the secure the saddlebag thingy, heads up!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 05:33 PM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TooEasy: Good info. Appreciate your insight.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:44 PM
CornbredNE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TooEasy
Folks,

I just posted this on a secure the seat thread, but I am thinking that there are a lot of members using the saddlebag theft-proofing thingy and leaving the special tool locked up in the saddlebag. The saddlebags are secured to the mounts, but the lids are not. Fifteen seconds and a screwdriver and the lids are popped open. If the special tool is there, you didn't really secure the saddlebags. Consider duct taping the tool out of sight and out of mind in a place other than the saddlebag, under a cover, or inside the wire harness plastic loom. The problem with the lids is that the locking brackets are made of really soft metal with a lot of flex. See this pic and consider how easy it is. Those of you locking up your gun in the saddlebag (I do this sometimes, but it makes me paranoid, lol) be really careful where you park.

Regards,
I guess I'm just too trusting or something...I hardly lock my bike let alone my saddlebags, and I consider that I live in a pretty rough area... I do however rarely let my bike out of my sight, and typically only do that during daylight hours...

I honestly think some of ya'll worry too much...what's the worst that could happen, someone steals it and then you go buy a new Harley...I beg for that opportunity...

Old 11-01-2010, 10:06 PM
TooEasy
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CornbredNE
I guess I'm just too trusting or something...I hardly lock my bike let alone my saddlebags, and I consider that I live in a pretty rough area... I do however rarely let my bike out of my sight, and typically only do that during daylight hours...

I honestly think some of ya'll worry too much...what's the worst that could happen, someone steals it and then you go buy a new Harley...I beg for that opportunity...

It wouldn't be a problem if everybody had the money to just buy a replacement saddlebag or replacement bike. But real life is different, some of us have to work very hard for what we have, and we are just happy keeping that and meeting the rest of our obligations.

Then there is the claim itself. Filing a claim is like getting a DUI, the paperwork alone is not worth it, lol.

Regards,

Last edited by TooEasy; 11-01-2010 at 10:18 PM.