Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:43 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stage 1

I am starting to do my homework regarding stage 1 components on my FLHR.

As I understand it, this consists of:
1.) Air cleaner mod to allow better breathing, such as SEAC or Big Sucker
2.) Exhaust mod, such as less restrictive slip-on mufflers. Can also include a replacement head pipe without a cat.
3.) Fuel/air tuner, such as a Power Commander V (or at least a remapping of EFI)

I've read many positive recommendations for Fuel Moto as a source for at least the tuner. I see on their website that they bundle the components into a Power Package.
Has anyone gone this route?

How are their dyno-tuned Jackpot mufflers?

Currently, motorcycles still get emission tested here. Does removing the cat affect such a test negatively?

Old 10-28-2010, 11:58 PM
cjairplane
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You got it, that about wraps it up. I live in the people's republic of CA, so a cat is required. I went with the Arlen Ness Big Sucker, V&H Monster Oval slip ons, and the V&H FuelPak. I elected to keep the stock headers, but who knows down the road. I love the combination I'm running now...and if the DMV eventually requires motorcycle smogging (and I'm sure they eventually will), removal of the FuelPak will put the bike back on it's stock programmed fuel consumption. With that gone and the other components still on, you would risk leaning her out too much, so make it a short trip. Good luck, Sir. You will hear a ton of "you're wrong" opinions and "try this instead" responses.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:53 AM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

In the middle of Stage 1 on '09 Ultra. 1. Installed Dyno-tuned slip-ons from FuelMoto (love the sound!). 2. Just got the H-D Stage 1 download at the dealership. Already noticed an improvement in power. 3. Waiting for SE Stage 1 A/C Kit to arrive. I'm anxious to see if there is any further improvement after installation of air cleaner.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:32 AM
Bud-9
Advanced

+1 on the Fuel Moto Package.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:40 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RoadHog659
In the middle of Stage 1 on '09 Ultra. 1. Installed Dyno-tuned slip-ons from FuelMoto (love the sound!). 2. Just got the H-D Stage 1 download at the dealership. Already noticed an improvement in power. 3. Waiting for SE Stage 1 A/C Kit to arrive. I'm anxious to see if there is any further improvement after installation of air cleaner.

So, you decided to do exhaust and air cleaner, and the dealer EFI remap in lieu of a Power Commander (or equivalent)?

Old 10-29-2010, 10:42 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bud-9
+1 on the Fuel Moto Package.
If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you? Did you do the installation yourself?

Old 10-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Bluesfan
Intermediate

I went with FM's kit on my '10RKC and am very happy with the results. Easy to install, and for me the Dyno slip-ons are perfect sound wise. I had a couple questions along the way and the folks at FM were very helpful.

I'll guess I had maybe 2.5 hours in the whole installation and I am no whiz when it comes to mechanical projects.

Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:24 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pargenz
So, you decided to do exhaust and air cleaner, and the dealer EFI remap in lieu of a Power Commander (or equivalent)?
Yes. After reading countless posts/threads on the subject I determined this was the simplest, easiest way to go for me. Wasn't looking to squeeze every last pony out of my Ultra, just looking for a little boost in hp. I understand that's usually how it gets started, and it's a slippery slope of neverending mods after that.....