Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ideal Motorcycle Trailer size

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:05 PM
meechx
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideal Motorcycle Trailer size

For those of you who transport your harleys, what is the ideal trailer size to accomodate two street glides? Most 7' X 14' trailers are about 80 inches in width(6ft 8"). Is this wide enough for two street glides? Also, what are your thoughts on V-nose vs Straight front?

Old 10-28-2010, 08:54 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im in the process of buying a 6x10 v nose. You really want the bike over the axle so its not going to be up in the nose. The SG is just over 8ft so I will have 2 ft plus 1.5 ft of v nose to store crap.
The widest part of my SG is 42" so you'd have to stagger them to get them in an 80" wide trailer.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:13 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by meechx
For those of you who transport your harleys, what is the ideal trailer size to accomodate two street glides? Most 7' X 14' trailers are about 80 inches in width(6ft 8"). Is this wide enough for two street glides? Also, what are your thoughts on V-nose vs Straight front?
If you want enclosed 7 X 12 and staggered. I put two Ultra Classics in a 6 X 12 V nose. They were touching each other and the sides. You can put two on open 6 X 12. All must be staggered. I like my v nose. Less wasted space and the v does not figure in the length. Bonus space.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:36 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by jasnusc
Im in the process of buying a 6x10 v nose. You really want the bike over the axle so its not going to be up in the nose. The SG is just over 8ft so I will have 2 ft plus 1.5 ft of v nose to store crap.
The widest part of my SG is 42" so you'd have to stagger them to get them in an 80" wide trailer.
My Haulmark is supposed to be loaded 60% in front of the axel and 40% behind.
Be careful you don't put the bike too far back.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:33 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,168 Likes on 3,676 Posts

V-nose will save you gas because of aerodynamics...not by much though...

Old 10-29-2010, 07:02 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

Pretty sure you'll be quire happy with the 7 x 14. Mine is 16' long and you really dont need the extra two feet.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:26 AM
Beak
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 132 Posts

7X14. Not sure how much the V nose or bubble nose, vs the flat nose, really makes a difference. I have a bubble nose, have towed flat nose, and my truck gets about the same gas mileage with either one. The tow vehicle blocks most of the air flow going on the front of the trailer. V or bubble give you a little more room. I can fit two Ultra Classics in my trailer, they are staggered and do not touch.
It seems to me the tandem axle trailers tow the best, they dont tend to jerk the tow vehicle around much. Which means your bikes are not bouncing around. Even though they are tied down. The rare occasion you ever get a flat tire on your trailer, and their is no where to stop and change it, you can still get safely out of the way, until you can, with a tandem axle trailer.
Something else to ponder, if you are towing to a destination like a hotel, the 7x14 will fit into a parking spot if you have to break it down to park.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:40 AM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Haulmark low hauler, tandem axel 7'x12' and regularly haul two streetglides staggered. Plenty of room behind both bikes for gear, no room for another bike. My friend has a 7'x14' tandem and he hauls 3 bikes two in the front - not staggered and one between all the way to the rear door, like a triangle...NONE of them are baggers though, Deuces and Dyna's.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:54 AM
CRASH69
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 5x10 open trailer, Its the perfect size and the price was right. New was $2k they took $1k, You will find alot of sales right now, I also installed a wheel chock so the bike does not move...Mike

Old 10-29-2010, 08:18 AM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

7 X12 Enclosed trailer will hold two fairing bikes staggered. 6 X 12 will hold 2 non-fairing bikes, but it is tight.

Quick Reply: Ideal Motorcycle Trailer size