Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump Turned Off Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 01:27 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Happened to me as well. It's supposed to do that.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:04 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,855 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by bdp
Do you happen to have ABS, if so my conclusion is a slight wheel spin that engaged ABS which disengaged cruise.
ABS only works if you are pushing down on the brakes. The system I think you are referencing is "Traction Control" and boy do I wish my bike had that! That would be cool...

lp

Old 10-29-2010, 09:42 PM
08roadglidejoe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ftzoid
Consider this: the jar of the bump simultaneously forcing/rolling your throttle hand forward, unnoticed by the rider, there by shutting down the cruise control. Especially easy to do with TBW. It's happened to me running over the frost heaves in the highways here in Michigan.
I have the same thing happen to me, but for me it is the expansion joints on bridges. I always make sure I do not hold the grip too tight with my hand or the bump might cause the throttle to roll forward.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:07 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by bdp
Do you happen to have ABS, if so my conclusion is a slight wheel spin that engaged ABS which disengaged cruise.
how can abs be engaged if the brakes are not applied?

consider that abs works by releasing your brakes just enough to prevent a lock up condition. if your brakes are not even applied, there is nothing to release, and no imminent lock up condition.......

Old 10-30-2010, 03:14 AM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Toypuller
The bump caused the rear brake pedal to depress just enough to shut it off.

Make sure you don't have any play in the pedal.

Ride down the road with the cruise on and bump the pedal with your toe, it doesn't take much to disengage it.

Toypuller, in no way am I trying to bash you. I just find it unlikely that someone has that much play in there brake pedal. Or should I say, I would hope that if they had that much play in it, that they take care of that problem right away.

As I understand, you can disengage the cruise also by pulling in the clutch. The increase in RPMS disengages the cruise. Could it be possible that the rear wheel left the ground causing the wheel and or RPMS to jump?

I also like the idea of an un-noticeable rolling forward of the throttle.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:31 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

when hitting a substantial bump, the kind that you'd otherwise raise your butt off the seat for, yes it does disengage the cruise. it's supposed to for safety. the bike doesn't know if you hit a bump or had an accident and it's just a safety measure in case you have an accident. imagine crashing and your cruise stays engaged. that could be more entertainment than you'd want. don't worry, my streetglide does the same thing but it takes a pretty good bump to trigger it.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:52 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by streetglide44
I had the same problem on my 07 sg. I had changed grips and during process I had not fully met the control housings all the way. Also caused brake light to flutter sometimes. Loosened, slid together, retightened, no more problems. ) even hitting uneven pavement at bridges or potholes)
This would be my guess,had the exact same symptoms.I thought I had a cruise control problem until a buddy told me my brake light's were flickering.Had recently mounted Sirius radio on the throttle grip side and left a tiny gap.It doesn't take much movemnt or impact on the little brake lgt. control micro switch to open up.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:01 AM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input. Seems to be either a safety feature or rider actions that turned it off. Either way, I'm good with it.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:15 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I'll add my input. It is either the front brake lever moving slightly, cancelling the cruise, or your hand inadvertently turning the throttle back which will also cancel it. I do not think there is any "bump" feature in the cruise control as I have hit some hard bumps without it shutting off. However I have had it shut off when I was holding tightly to the throttle and hit a hard bump and my hand turned. Also, my front brake lever only requires the very slightest movement to disengage the cruise.