Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump Turned Off Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 07:04 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had owned a '92 Gold Wing and that beast had a shut off for the cruise control if you leaned the bike over too far in a turn.
I remember one time it cancelled the cruise in long banking turn and a semi was coming at me in the other lane......I did not like that at all.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:16 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twodollarbill
I had owned a '92 Gold Wing and that beast had a shut off for the cruise control if you leaned the bike over too far in a turn.
I remember one time it cancelled the cruise in long banking turn and a semi was coming at me in the other lane......I did not like that at all.
That's interesting, although not sure how that worked. I thought those old wings had "friction" type cruise controls so can't see how you could add that intelligence. The real strength of the newer HD cruise control systems is that it is based on the electronic TBW so smarts can readily be programmed in

Old 10-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

The bump caused the rear brake pedal to depress just enough to shut it off.

Make sure you don't have any play in the pedal.

Ride down the road with the cruise on and bump the pedal with your toe, it doesn't take much to disengage it.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:40 PM
ftzoid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consider this: the jar of the bump simultaneously forcing/rolling your throttle hand forward, unnoticed by the rider, there by shutting down the cruise control. Especially easy to do with TBW. It's happened to me running over the frost heaves in the highways here in Michigan.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:42 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ftzoid
Consider this: the jar of the bump simultaneously forcing/rolling your throttle hand forward, unnoticed by the rider, there by shutting down the cruise control. Especially easy to do with TBW. It's happened to me running over the frost heaves in the highways here in Michigan.
That is what I thought at first then mine did it several times with my hand not even on the throttle.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Gruamach
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kredin
I was coming home from work this afternoon going 75 in 6th gear. The cruise control was set. I hit a pothole (not huge) and the cruise control turned off. I pushed resume and I was back up to 75, so I suspect there's no serious problem.

I had not experienced this before and was just wondering if others had the same thing happen to them.
Happened to me twice so far...second time confirmed what I guessed at the first time:

The bump made my hand on the grip roll forward, obviously just enough to trigger the "throttle rollback" sensor, which cuts off cruise.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:03 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

its a speed verses rpm thing,thats why guys changing primary ratios lose the cruise.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 PM
flhtupser
Tourer

Mine has done it as well. Pretty big bump though.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:50 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you happen to have ABS, if so my conclusion is a slight wheel spin that engaged ABS which disengaged cruise.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:21 PM
streetglide44
Road Captain

I had the same problem on my 07 sg. I had changed grips and during process I had not fully met the control housings all the way. Also caused brake light to flutter sometimes. Loosened, slid together, retightened, no more problems. ) even hitting uneven pavement at bridges or potholes)

Quick Reply: Bump Turned Off Cruise