Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning a black bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:49 AM
mmzullo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning a black bike

My black RK is clean before a ride. Black is nice but gets dirt quick. When I get home it's covered in road bust. Do you guy wash or dust off the bike. I have a california duster but it's too bike for the bike. Or just don't do anything. What do you guys do?

Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I try to clean my bike up once a week or so. Life is too short to clean it every time it gets a little dust on it.

Dennis

Old 10-27-2010, 08:08 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

I have my RKC for a month. For the first 3 weeks, I looked for jean marks on the gas tank after every ride and buffed them out, I was obsessed. Now in week 4, I'm over it. I will clean it off before every ride with a small Cal Duster, and get the smudges off the chrome, but the heavy detail work can wait until she looks dirty. It's more fun to ride than clean.
Gonna try Zaino in the spring.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:36 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a swiffer duster when the bike cools down. Gets most of the dust off. Then use a damp lamb skin shammy .

Old 10-27-2010, 09:09 AM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ice detailer does nice quick job.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:35 AM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Lucas Slick Mist and a microfiber towel. It used to be after each ride.....now it's when I think it needs it

Old 10-27-2010, 09:42 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaceFace
I use Lucas Slick Mist and a microfiber towel. It used to be after each ride.....now it's when I think it needs it
I just learned about Lucas Slick Mist. good stuff. I will wash my bike first if I have time, gets the really gungy stuff off. Then a quick wax or the Lucas. Pledge even, I have it all LOL. I like it shiney, what can I say. BUT if its a choice of ride or wash, riding will win out for me. hope its ok to post in the touring models forum. My sporty is fun to tour on, what can I say.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:00 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

California Duster, Pledge for quick clean ups and Turtle Wax Ice. Works good for me.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:51 AM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

mine gets covered in **** if it sits overnight cuz I live aT THE BEACH.
f cleaning it wait till it gets pits and rust and change it out for the cheap take offs I got at the swap meet. I lean towards powdercoat and plastic parts over chrome sometimes there is no choice. my mirrors were new last december they have been covered in pits and deterioration. my original ones look like they came off of a barn find from the 50s. my bike is an 05 I am currently on my 3rd crashbar 2nd lightbar 3rd set of bag bars all the chrome around the *** end 3rd front bumper 3rd set of floorboards 4th set of mirrors 3rd pair of blinkers...
nothing left of the original patina on my forks bare aluminum all the coating is gone. when are they going to make a stainless steel bike? maybe tupperware and harley can hook up and come out with a "tupperglide" for us beach people.
If I were you I wouldn't worry too much.
no one will see the dirt when you are doing 80 miles an hour.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:57 AM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the HONDA detail spray wax ! I have been using it about 12 years now and I can say it is one of the best on the market ! Also use the S100 for the engine another I have been using for about the same amount of time.

Quick Reply: Cleaning a black bike