Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline oils

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 02:24 PM
raporte
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redline oils

Tater..... what happened was I took bike to Gails HD for 10K checkup with instructions not to change tranny oil. I had put in Redline at 7500 miles and wanted to change every 7500 miles. So I really only had 2500 miles on the tranny oil. The tech, at some point, did dump the tranny oil as there was a seal he swapped out on the primary side of the engine. As I figured the tranny oil was never touched, I never botherted to check it. It doesn't use up oil in the tranny so I figued life was all great. At 12500 miles I was going to change all oils as Sturgis had it's calling and my buddy and I were going to go. I figured so it was only 5000 miles on the oil, what the heck, change it out! It's been super hot here in KS and I knew we were going to push the speed. When I popped the tranny plug maybe an ounce of fluid came out! I was blown away...the oil didn't evaporate!!!!! Where was it?? I concluded the tech never replaced the tranny oil with Redline or anything else. Obviously, I should have ben told about it and they should have put in Syn 3 as that is their standard tranny oil. I knew about the bearing replacement and didn't think to ask about the tranny oil. I screwed up in not asking more questions and not checking oil (I change it so frequently no real need to check). In any event I put 2500 miles on that thing with basically no tranny oil. Dealer and others are baffled but that thing runs perfectly...no whine, noise,etc. It WAS quieter when I put in the full 24 ounces of Redline...but it wasn't really that noisy when it was empty!!

Old 08-19-2007, 03:24 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,537 Posts

ORIGINAL: willett58

I don't know if this is true, but my local Harley dealer said if I run anything other than HD oils it voids my warranty. What has everyone else heard?

[IMG]local://upfiles/37827/8015C735CE514B058E232585B9F96CBC.jpg[/IMG]
just in the off chance that you're not fishing.... in accordance with the magnuson-moss warranty act, if a manufacturer requires that you use their oil to keep a warranty in place, then they have to provide you with said oil. so next time your dealer tells you that, ask him where they keep the free oil, you would like some!

Old 08-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raporte, I am blown away by that. Hard to believe she ran with 1 ounce of Redline in the tranny for 2500 miles -- I hope Gail's will honor some type of extended warranty in case you run into problems later. If it truly is running that well with no wear, I'd be contacting Redline with that story. You'll probably end of being their spokesman and get Heavy Shock for life -- of course, you may only get 1 ounceper change period. One 24 ounce bottle will go a long ways. LOL. Truly impressive, friend.

And I agree, it's been hot here in KS!

Tater

Old 08-20-2007, 01:31 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

ORIGINAL: Blackisfast

Do a search on the Moss-Magnuson Warranty Act.

They cannot simply void your warranty...Federal law protects your right to use whatever fluids you wish from any source as long as they meet the appropriate standards.

I can't believe some liars and thieves are still trying to get away with this sort of crap.
The summer 2007 HD Enthusiest Magazine just came today. Two things are really interesting. One is a pull out brochure on how to keep cool on your new Harley.

The other is a question and answer:

Q Would I void the warranty if this lubricant is not specified in the HD owner's manual?
A: Syn3 is the only sythetic motor oil that does not impact your 24 month, unlimitied mile factory warranty.

The use of diesel oil is only recomended in the owner's manual if you need to add oil and don't haveHD oilavailable.

Another interesting fact--There is no "grade" markings on HD syn3 oil, so what is equivalent oil to it ? No one knows. The only clue would be that diesel oil would include CF-4, CG-4, CH-4 and CI-4

Not trying to argue here, just stating the facts.

Based on that, and the Moss-Magnuson Act, Harley should be giving us their oil, as it seems that is the only oil, according to them, that can be used!

Old 08-20-2007, 01:37 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

ORIGINAL: Taterdog
Raporte, I am blown away by that. Hard to believe she ran with 1 ounce of Redline in the tranny for 2500 miles -- I hope Gail's will honor some type of extended warranty in case you run into problems later. If it truly is running that well with no wear, I'd be contacting Redline with that story. You'll probably end of being their spokesman and get Heavy Shock for life -- of course, you may only get 1 ounceper change period. One 24 ounce bottle will go a long ways. LOL. Truly impressive, friend.

And I agree, it's been hot here in KS!
Tater
The very first time I ever saw synthetic oil was back in the early '70s, at a trade show, and Conklin had a booth. They were touting the fact that Burlinton Northern was running their oil exclusively. They had two identical lawnmowers, one with regular oil, and one with their synthetic. They ran both, then drained the oil out of both, and restarted them. The one with regular oil ran for a short while, then seized up. The other ran for 15 minutes, and then they shut it off. It had not seized.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:22 PM
alexcue
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

know it's an old thread that's gained life.

Using Redline in all 3 holes, and the transmission is very different now. Smooth...quiet (still hear a slight whine in 5th) and easy positive shifting. Heck a little insurance never hurt, might be overkill, but I've been pleased with the noticable difference.

Bike runs cooler.. (but good dyno tune may be the biggest factor).

Old 08-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, synthetic oils are amazing stuff, no doubt. I've never used them in anything other than my bike due to expense.