Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's it like to own a well tuned 107?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 08:02 PM
coldmcrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's it like to own a well tuned 107?

So I've talked to a reputable indy a few hours from my house, and I have a build I'm thinking about doing this winter. Should end up with about 125tq/110hp. Right now my bike is basically stock so the difference should be amazing. I want to be able to pass traffic without having to plan for it. Just twist and go like on my sportbike. I also want to be able to pull away from my buddies on their stock Limiteds and CVOs when we're riding in the mountains.

For those that have upgraded to a 107, what is your impression of riding it? Any regrets? Are you satisfied with the performance? Any problems? Would you do it again?

My biggest concern is longevity, since I ride about 20k/yr. I also need it to retain good low speed manners for when I teach MSF ERCs on it. I'd like to get 100k out of the build before any major work is needed. Am I hoping for the impossible?

Any input is appreciated. I'm in the justification phase of the build now.

The build:
Bore stock cylinders
Bore stock throttle body
Stage 3 Head work on my stock heads
Forged CP Pistons
Adjustable Pushrods
Woods TW5-6 cams
Clutch lockup
D&D Boss Fat Cat 2-1
TTS Master Tune & Custom Dyno Tune

Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

I'm planning the same build this winter and I also put 20+ a year on mine and dont want to split the cases till at least 150+ but I only want to go just over 100tq and 100hp for crank and longgevity issues. Hope some chime in that have done the 107 build from stock.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:40 PM
WI Bob
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine not only goes like stink when you wick it, but is really strong starting right off idle. No flat spots anywhere.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:42 PM
user 46363738
Banned

I have a T-Man Performance 103, stage two heads, forged Weisco pistons, 625 cams true duals and Reinhart 4" mufflers. I wanted to go with the stage 3 107 setup also but my crank run out was a little more than wanted. I wanted reliability more than anything else so thats what I did. I'm very pleased with the performance and hope it will last for a good while.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:43 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

100,000 miles or 150,000 miles on a performance harley motor????
WAKE UP

Old 10-26-2010, 08:54 PM
axel black
Road Captain

did the 106" upgrade. was the best bang for the buck. 114 ft lbs TQ. instant response.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:17 PM
MiddleAgeCrisis
Intermediate

107 Axtell kit here. S&S 583 cams, port and polish to the heads. She's real strong off the line and no flat spots. 6th gear has lots of giddy-up now!

Old 10-26-2010, 10:51 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by coldmcrider
So I've talked to a reputable indy a few hours from my house, and I have a build I'm thinking about doing this winter. Should end up with about 125tq/110hp. Right now my bike is basically stock so the difference should be amazing. I want to be able to pass traffic without having to plan for it. Just twist and go like on my sportbike. I also want to be able to pull away from my buddies on their stock Limiteds and CVOs when we're riding in the mountains.

For those that have upgraded to a 107, what is your impression of riding it? Any regrets? Are you satisfied with the performance? Any problems? Would you do it again?

My biggest concern is longevity, since I ride about 20k/yr. I also need it to retain good low speed manners for when I teach MSF ERCs on it. I'd like to get 100k out of the build before any major work is needed. Am I hoping for the impossible?

Any input is appreciated. I'm in the justification phase of the build now.

The build:
Bore stock cylinders
Bore stock throttle body
Stage 3 Head work on my stock heads
Forged CP Pistons
Adjustable Pushrods
Woods TW5-6 cams
Clutch lockup
D&D Boss Fat Cat 2-1
TTS Master Tune & Custom Dyno Tune
Is "The Build" a package you've thrown together?
Your Indy has thrown together?
Or a package that one of the performance companies have put together that's known to run?
You can't/shouldn't just go throwing parts together for a hot rod motor.
If the parts don't work together, you're in worse shape than when you started.
I'd suggest letting the Indy do the assembly...and a performance company putting the package together.

Head-Quarters
T-Man
Hillside
GMR
These companies have proven packages.
Look into them...then decide.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:20 PM
coldmcrider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
Is "The Build" a package you've thrown together?
Your Indy has thrown together?
Or a package that one of the performance companies have put together that's known to run?
You can't/shouldn't just go throwing parts together for a hot rod motor.
If the parts don't work together, you're in worse shape than when you started.
I'd suggest letting the Indy do the assembly...and a performance company putting the package together.
Nothing has been "thrown together" It's a package that Andrew Rosa has put together many times. I let him choose something he knows works. I'm not worried about the build it self.

I'm interested in hearing how others feel about their builds. Do they have the performance they were looking for? Are they satisfied or do they want more power? Any issues, problems or regrets? How long can I expect it to last before major work is required.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:14 AM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by coldmcrider
Nothing has been "thrown together" It's a package that Andrew Rosa has put together many times. I let him choose something he knows works. I'm not worried about the build it self.

I'm interested in hearing how others feel about their builds. Do they have the performance they were looking for? Are they satisfied or do they want more power? Any issues, problems or regrets? How long can I expect it to last before major work is required.
I have met Andrew, & talk to him online, & at the motorcycle show in NYC at the Jacob Javitz.He knows what to do & can build you something reliable.Just make sure your honest with him about what you want, & the type of riding you do.If i were you, i would educate myself on cams,comp & headwork & what they do.That way you could have some insight on what he's giving you,so you can be happy with what he builds you.After all it's your money, so you want, what you want, & not what someone thinks you should have!!!

Quick Reply: What's it like to own a well tuned 107?