Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's it like to own a well tuned 107?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 06:38 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Back in the day, Chevrolet offered the 327 c.i. engine in 250, 275, 300, 350 and 365 horsepower versions. 107 kits are by no means standardized and can be built with torque biased cams versus high rpm horsepower cams, bigger valves, bigger injectors, etc.

Are you going to have manual or automatic compression releases in the heads?

Sounds like a nice build and a big jump from what you currently have. It won't be sport bike fast, however.

Carl

Old 10-27-2010, 06:44 AM
artz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't imagine the torque and power.
I know I would love to hide this in my stock E.G.
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/420-...utm_medium=cse

Old 10-27-2010, 07:01 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by leohd
100,000 miles or 150,000 miles on a performance harley motor????
WAKE UP
You know Leo, for the first time I have to agree with you. Anyone thinking they will get longer mileage out of a Harley motor built for performance just doesn't know about these bikes. I have friends with stock motors that have over 100K and no issues other than routine maintenance. Anytime you modify your motor from stock you are increasing the stress on the motor. Do you honestly think you can increase the pressure on the stock crank and expect it to last as long as stock? Good Luck

Old 10-27-2010, 07:54 AM
coldmcrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokindave
Do you honestly think you can increase the pressure on the stock crank and expect it to last as long as stock? Good Luck
This is why I'm asking these questions before I go ahead with the build. I have used the search function extensively and understand what cams, head work and bigger bore do for performance. What I have not found is how long a performance motor can be expected to last.

I have talked to the builder about my riding style and my goals, and he has proposed this build. He says the motor will be reliable and approach the service life of a stock motor. I find that hard to believe myself, which is why I turn to this board for advice from those that have real world experience owning this type of build.

Dalton indicated his 120 build ran without any issues for 40k before he sold it. I'd like to know what I can reasonably expect from a 107 build before it has to be torn down and rebuilt. I don't want to race my bagger, I just want enough power to effortlessly pass traffic and keep up with a 110 CVO ultra in the mountains.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:04 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by coldmcrider
Dalton indicated his 120 build ran without any issues for 40k before he sold it.
Dalton's crank was bullet-proof.
It had been sent to Darkhorse and built for the 120" motor.
The crank for the 107" is still stock.
Not nearly as durable as the 120" crank.

The stock crank setup can grenade long before one that's worked properly.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:33 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

let see: I have two 107's both HQs motors and a HQs 103.

I put 24k miles on the 103 beat the chit out of the bike wheelies, rolling burnouts, street racing -- I don't condone any of this behavior but I did it -- never one problem out of the motor -- I was buying 3 / 4 rear tires a year

09RG 107 HQs RG currently have 16k miles on it not one problem -- I expect the bike with it's current motor configuration to last well into 70k miles without a rebuild--this bikes likes to wheelie due to the fat tire on the back -- the 107 will easily pull the front wheel a foot or more off the ground; if not careful you can easily snap a belt

on the other hand

I also have a 06 SG with a 131 -- overkill and major maintenance/rebuilding--I found an excellent HD shop that has experience with these kinds of motors and they do right by me Great South HD, Newnan, GA

Old 10-27-2010, 08:43 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lkr0
let see: I have two 107's both HQs motors and a HQs 103.

I put 24k miles on the 103 beat the chit out of the bike wheelies, rolling burnouts, street racing -- I don't condone any of this behavior but I did it -- never one problem out of the motor -- I was buying 3 / 4 rear tires a year

09RG 107 HQs RG currently have 16k miles on it not one problem -- I expect the bike with it's current motor configuration to last well into 70k miles without a rebuild--this bikes likes to wheelie due to the fat tire on the back -- the 107 will easily pull the front wheel a foot or more off the ground; if not careful you can easily snap a belt

on the other hand

I also have a 06 SG with a 131 -- overkill and major maintenance/rebuilding--I found an excellent HD shop that has experience with these kinds of motors and they do right by me Great South HD, Newnan, GA
These are the stories I like. Real first hand experience, rather than my friends bike, my sisters husband knows a guy, ...... There's a lot of doom and gloom but I really am wondering how much is real and how much is hearsay.... or jealousy.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:46 AM
TXCHOP
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

With that build you are looking at. Lifter changes every 30-40k.
the crank could be fine, could have problems with it.
Clutch needs attention with that build. The lockup will not do the trick in the long run imo.

Otherwise you should be happy with that combo for touring. Dont be mad if it doesnt make near 100k on the motor though.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:52 AM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by coldmcrider
So I've talked to a reputable indy a few hours from my house, and I have a build I'm thinking about doing this winter. Should end up with about 125tq/110hp. Right now my bike is basically stock so the difference should be amazing. I want to be able to pass traffic without having to plan for it. Just twist and go like on my sportbike. I also want to be able to pull away from my buddies on their stock Limiteds and CVOs when we're riding in the mountains.

For those that have upgraded to a 107, what is your impression of riding it? Any regrets? Are you satisfied with the performance? Any problems? Would you do it again?

My biggest concern is longevity, since I ride about 20k/yr. I also need it to retain good low speed manners for when I teach MSF ERCs on it. I'd like to get 100k out of the build before any major work is needed. Am I hoping for the impossible?

Any input is appreciated. I'm in the justification phase of the build now.

The build:
Bore stock cylinders
Bore stock throttle body
Stage 3 Head work on my stock heads
Forged CP Pistons
Adjustable Pushrods
Woods TW5-6 cams
Clutch lockup
D&D Boss Fat Cat 2-1
TTS Master Tune & Custom Dyno Tune
I've got to disagree with the nay sayers. There are many 107's running around with stock cranks. I will agree that the crank is a weak spot. I'd like to hear more from the guys that have high miles on their builds. I have only 7k on mine. H-Q advertises their 107's as 100 k builds and so far have seen no evidence to dispute that.

I'm totally happy with mine. The vtwins are capable of 1 hp per cubic inch with out sacrificing anything ( reliability or longevity ). I now get better gas mileage than when stock. The difference in performance is impressive while maintaining good manners when riding easy.

I'd add an oil cooler and compression releases to your build. Upgrading the crank is your choice. It was a concern with me but I decided to keep the stock crank.

Last edited by mariner227; 10-27-2010 at 08:54 AM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 10-27-2010, 10:07 AM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 107 on my glide. It's axtell cylinders and pistons s&s 585g cams port and polish heads. I had it tuned with a tts by bob at rc cycles(he's good). Mine turned out with 106/118 final tune. I have ran this build for alittle over 10,000 miles now. Runs good from sea level to the mountains.
I would also say stay with a proven combo like all the guys are saying. I haven't did anything to the stock crank and I ride a lot like Lyn. I would also say pick your cam out carefully if not going with a package cause that will effect where your power comes on at.
I know alot of guys that are running 103,107 with no issues but like everything only time will tell.
Lyn
I'm going to have to get my bike out to the atl so you can help me on my wheelies.

Quick Reply: What's it like to own a well tuned 107?