Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV bypasses O2 sensor ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 09:16 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by desertwolf
Jamie, so how well will the bike with the PCV installed handle going from sea level to 7000 foot altitude?
Works just fine. Runs a little richer at altitude, but all bikes are gonna do that. I've ridden past 7k feet on my buddy's RK with PCV and my bike with a Mastune. Same cams, same pipes, same tuner, same dyno day. Both bikes ran fine at 7k feet.

I was told that the stock ECM senses barometric pressure when you turn the bike on before you start and adjusts the map accordingly. I have no idea whether the PCV overrides this, but the bike seemed to run fine.

I would recommend getting a TTS for many reasons, but if you already have the PCV then don't worry about it.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:47 AM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Wow

Originally Posted by Sublime1
why not just buy it, and have Jamie create a map for sea level and a map for higher altitude and switch them.

The newer PC have a function which allows you to switch between two maps stored in memory with an external switch . .

Most people use it for "street" and "strip", but it could conceivably be used for any combination of maps.

BD
This may be a little expensive. He would have to Set his dyno up at 7000 ft and at sealevel and dyno a similar set up. Not too practical when others have said it works fine as it is.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:35 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,165 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Jamie, so how well will the bike with the PCV installed handle going from sea level to 7000 foot altitude?
A PC-V equipped bike will handle changes in altitude very well. The key component the system uses is the Map sensor which measures absolute pressure and allows the ECM to make the necessary adjustments based on pressure, which is constantly changing.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 10-27-2010, 01:22 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like it will work fine.
Thanks to everyone who responded.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:57 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a PCV headed my way from Fuel Moto as part of their stage 1 power pack and have recently heard that the PCV does not use the O2 sensors. Is that correct?

Then my next question is, if it doesn't use the O2 sensors, how well do the bikes handle changes in altitude if the ECM isn't adjusting the air/fuel ratio for the different altitudes. The reason why I'm asking this is I often can go from sea level to 7000 foot in less than an hour. And one thing I like about the stock fuel injection is the bike runs flawlessly at any altitude. Am I going to lose this with the PCV?
It will run fine. I ran one without an AutoTune for a year up in the mountains and down in the valleys of Arizona and had no problems.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:12 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine worked great from Tulsa to Tombstone; going through Alamogordo and Ruidoso (around 6000 ft). PCV, Ventilator air cleaner, and Fuel Moto Tuned slip ons.

Got 42 mpg approx the entire trip... '09 Ultra

Old 11-20-2010, 02:21 PM
KELD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So 2007 1200 O2 sensors. Yes or no? Do we have a definative answer as to whether best results are achieved with running these or eliminating these? I have a PCIII fitted.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:28 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
It depends on the map you get. If you get a closed loop map then the sensors wont be needed. I believe PCV has an auto tune function in which case you will need the sensors. You need to call fuel moto and ask him these questions. Tell him your riding style and let him write a tune for you

What do you mean by "closed loop map"? How do you know which one you have? My bike has problems when it gets hot, could this be the reason?

Old 11-20-2010, 03:46 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
What do you mean by "closed loop map"? How do you know which one you have? My bike has problems when it gets hot, could this be the reason?
Actually rereading that post I realize I am wrong. You DO need sensors in a closed loop map. Depending on which tuner and software you have you can see what map you have. Unless you have a plugged 02 bungs and sensors removed, chances are you are running a closed loop system. Closed loop means the efi is adjustable depending on what the 02 sensors are reading. When a cold bike is started it is in open loop, then when it warms it switches to closed loop.

Last edited by PistonPuller; 11-20-2010 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-20-2010, 05:37 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by KELD
So 2007 1200 O2 sensors. Yes or no? Do we have a definative answer as to whether best results are achieved with running these or eliminating these? I have a PCIII fitted.
Sensors should be eliminated with a PC111.

Quick Reply: PCV bypasses O2 sensor ?