Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do k&n air filters match up?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:22 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do k&n air filters match up?

How do they ? What is everyone using with the BEST perforence and pricing? I see the HD ones with the cone filter but they must be overpriced and make it uncomfortable for your leg, leg clearence is important.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:34 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Unless you are pinching out every ounce of hp and torque in a high performance engine that you are using on a racetrack, they are all pretty much the same. The K&N, Airaid (used on Arlen Ness Big Sucker), and SE flow relatively the same. IMO, I would go with the K&N or Airaid which look alike and can be washed and oiled. The SE can be washed but not oiled. I'm not sure who makes Doherty's filter.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:34 PM
legendzzz
Road Master

Thanks I am just looking for a better flow filter set-up and I will be putting pipes on by the spring and just need a better air system that will match up with the new pipes?

Old 10-26-2010, 09:43 PM
legendzzz
Road Master

If not K&N which is a great set-up to put on and not interfear with the leg and can ride in the rain with it and still give better breathing? OR just put a K&N filter in the stock HD housing ?

Old 10-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I run the K&N stock replacement filter in mine.
I run them in all the vehicles that I own.
It will out flow the stocker and clean the air better.
It fits right in the stock housing.
I feel it should suit my riding style , which is pretty much under 3,000 RPM's 99% of the time.
The Big Sucker or K&N RK series will flow a bit more at higher RPM's , but they don't have the rain protection from behind like the stock style does.
I ride quite a bit in the rain , so this was another reason I went with the stock replacement style.
Any cleanable and re-oiled type setup will work better than stock.
Mick

Old 10-26-2010, 10:49 PM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mick
I run the K&N stock replacement filter in mine.
I run them in all the vehicles that I own.
It will out flow the stocker and clean the air better.
It fits right in the stock housing.
I feel it should suit my riding style , which is pretty much under 3,000 RPM's 99% of the time.
The Big Sucker or K&N RK series will flow a bit more at higher RPM's , but they don't have the rain protection from behind like the stock style does.
I ride quite a bit in the rain , so this was another reason I went with the stock replacement style.
Any cleanable and re-oiled type setup will work better than stock.
Mick
I'm gonna go out on the limb here and disagree as to cleaning the air better.

This has been discussed ad naseum on hot rod sites I visit and I'm convinced that K&N FLOW better but do not FILTER better. I don't want to split hairs here as I actually have a K&N setup on mine, (was that way when I bought it), but it is not a better filter for particulate. If you want to suck more air that's fine, but the finer paper media filters do a better job of keeping the minute particles out of the engine.....................

OK, let the thrashing begin!!!....................

Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lownslow
I'm gonna go out on the limb here and disagree as to cleaning the air better.

This has been discussed ad naseum on hot rod sites I visit and I'm convinced that K&N FLOW better but do not FILTER better. I don't want to split hairs here as I actually have a K&N setup on mine, (was that way when I bought it), but it is not a better filter for particulate. If you want to suck more air that's fine, but the finer paper media filters do a better job of keeping the minute particles out of the engine.....................

OK, let the thrashing begin!!!....................
I kind of agree with you , but Oiling the filter, and keeping it clean, and oiled should make up for some.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:36 PM
lownslow
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 45 Posts

Just cleaned and oiled mine last week...............

I love my engine way too much to have it get Fu***d up.

I may later switch back to the original.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:45 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
Unless you are pinching out every ounce of hp and torque in a high performance engine that you are using on a racetrack, they are all pretty much the same. The K&N, Airaid (used on Arlen Ness Big Sucker), and SE flow relatively the same. IMO, I would go with the K&N or Airaid which look alike and can be washed and oiled. The SE can be washed but not oiled. I'm not sure who makes Doherty's filter.
K&N makes the Doherty, which is what I have. I have the AirRaid on my Chev 3500 dually diesel, and the recharge kit is the same (cleaner, spray oil).