Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plugs??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 04:57 PM
stuntdad
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plugs??

Any body running hot plugs? any thing other then NGK's.I wanted to run the new E3's in my electra glide but there short shafts and my plugs are long shaft.Can you run short plugs in them??Accel's,denso's any body

Old 10-26-2010, 05:11 PM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do some research on the E3 plugs. I believe they are made in China and I have heard they are having serious issues with quality. I have NGK Iridium plugs. Tell you the truth, I can't tell any difference from the stock plugs.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:24 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never been sold on fancy spark plugs, I don't think they work any better, they just last a little longer. I change my plugs once a year so I just use OEM.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:42 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I put in the double platinum tipped H-D plugs on my bike simply to not have to change them for many miles as the platinum should last considerably longer. Otherwise there is not a whole bunch of difference in performance from one spark plug to another as long as the heat range is the same.

A trick I was taught years ago on standard plugs was to use a side cutter and clip the ground back to uncover half the electrode. It helps uncover the spark somewhat and one thing I noticed on my car at the time was easier starting. I have seen plugs on the market similar to these.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:26 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I've run all the major brands, standard and fancy tips, and see absolutely no difference except maybe life span.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 AM
mech8251
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lifespan and price are the only differences IMO

Old 10-27-2010, 07:51 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

You never will feel a difference in plugs no matter what you use.I just stuck a set of E3's in one of my bikes,and will have to wait until next season to see how they last.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:21 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,267 Likes on 1,311 Posts

For less than $5/pair, I run NGKs I get from the Autoparts store. I don't go in for these "better mousetrap" plugs.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:46 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I played the normal-cooler-hotter plug game.

Check into the anti-knocj system and how it is dependent on stock plugs.

I was interested in it after I noticed the cooler differnce between the front plug vs the rear plug.

As in the case in all engines, the rear cylinder runs hotter than the front cylinders.

What you will often see is front plugs that are darker colored that the rear plugs. The rear plugs usally look closer to ideal in terms of fouling burn off.

So what did I do. I put hotter plugs in the front, and colder plugs in the back. Ran it for a while and the plugs look very close in color.

Problem. I found out that some bikes have pick anti-knock settings that is tied directly to the impedeance of the spark plug. Apparently in a engine knowck senerio, the spark gap resistance is lower and the engine compensates by doing someting.....not exactly sure what it does.

Anyway, I decided that the color differences between the front and the back was not worth the risk of screwing around with a key componet of the engine anti-knock system. SO the defual plugs went back in.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:46 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock plugs change them every year. No problems.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs??