Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RG Windshield ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006 | 07:41 PM
El Guy
|
Novice
Default RG Windshield ?

New Guy on the block with a 07 Pewter pearl RG. The stock windshield is working out, but I like the look of the 5 or 6 inch smoked out windshield. I just want to know how much of a difference am I expecting. Im 6-02 and ride with a 1/2 helmet.

Old 09-18-2006 | 09:12 PM
wldhogn
Tourer
Default RE: RG Windshield ?

ORIGINAL: El Guy

New Guy on the block with a 07 Pewter pearl RG. The stock windshield is working out, but I like the look of the 5 or 6 inch smoked out windshield. I just want to know how much of a difference am I expecting. Im 6-02 and ride with a 1/2 helmet.
It's like the difference between night and day. At your height it will feel like no wind shield at all .. that's why they call them "wind deflectors" .. it deflects it doesn't shield. But if it's "cool looks" you are looking for .. it's the bomb!!

Old 09-18-2006 | 09:29 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

Exactly. If you ride in town it won't be an issue, but when you get on the highway, well, as the man said.....it isn't even there.

Old 09-18-2006 | 10:04 PM
kt
Tourer

But damn they look gooooooooooooood!

kt

Old 09-18-2006 | 11:21 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

No argument from me on the looks, I have one too. Had it installed for exactly three days. Fine in town in the heat. If one wears a full face helmet, you can get away with it on the road, but the fatigue factor is high due to the wind blast.
Luckily, one can have the best of both, because the windshields are easy to swap on the RG.....just takes a little patience and 20 minutes or so. Lots of choices out there, including the little black deflector Zook sells. Personally, I'm sold on Clearview Shields of Bailey, CO for my RG. Medium GT is just right for my eye level, and a superior touring windshield.

Each to his own.........and you can have all of 'em!

Old 09-18-2006 | 11:39 PM
ZookHD
Tourer

I have them in 6, 8, and 10" sizes. Send me an E-mail for more info, ZOOK.

Old 09-19-2006 | 05:42 PM
Redcat
Intermediate

Mr. Wonderful and Wldhogn...
I'm looking at getting a Clearview shield, I'm 6'2" and sit a Mustang Touring Seat. Right now I'm getting blasted pretty good by the wind over the stock shield.
How tall are you guys and do you ride a stock seat or aftermarket?
I realize that you can try out a Clearview and exchange it if need be and if you don't screw it up...but I'd like to try being right the first time.

Old 09-19-2006 | 06:02 PM
BlkNyt
Advanced

Redcat, I assume you have an RG. If so, I just installed my Clearview last night. I'm 6'2" also, and I use both the Sundowner dual and solo seats, and a very low around-town solo from Harley (I think it's the Bandit). I originally ordered the Clearview large, and it was just too tall, (I believe 2" over stock) and I like to look over the shield, and sent it back for a stock height shield (This is normally a custom size, since the Medium is 1" less than standard. But when I called Clearview to discuss, John the sales rep, said they should have stock size as standard and did not charge me for the difference -- great people over there). When you install, you will find that there is no comparison between the OEM and Clearview shields -- these guys produce a first-rate product. Hopefully, later this week I'll have a chance to evaluate its performance at high speeds. I believe the design elements in the Clearview will remove most of the gusting effect.

Old 09-19-2006 | 06:08 PM
wldhogn
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Redcat

Mr. Wonderful and Wldhogn...
I'm looking at getting a Clearview shield, I'm 6'2" and sit a Mustang Touring Seat. Right now I'm getting blasted pretty good by the wind over the stock shield.
How tall are you guys and do you ride a stock seat or aftermarket?
I realize that you can try out a Clearview and exchange it if need be and if you don't screw it up...but I'd like to try being right the first time.
I'm 5-10 and ride an '03 Road Glide. I have an HD 12" clear windshield and a Sundowner seat (which I believe sits me about an inch higher than my stock RG seat) and I look about 3' over the top of my windshield. Personally, I would rather look over the windshield than through it so I do get some wind buffeting (is that a word?) around my 1/2 helmet. I also tried a 15" clear HD windshield with my stock RG seat and that was a little to high because I had to strech a bit to see over it. I've never owned or used a Clearview windsheild or a Mustang seat so I can't really comment on them. As you can see (in my signature photo below) I also have an HD "wind deflector" also that I use around town and short trips but I wouldn't recommend it for highway speeds.

Best thing for you to do is try the Clearview and see how you like it. Good Luck