Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the actual capacity of the 6 gal fuel Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:05 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
We could do with a volunteer to brim their tank full, then ride until it stops, then brim it again! Or empty the tank and fill it right up. Anyone?!

Splitting hairs on this thread.

A 6 gal tank is gonna hold awful close to 6 gal. Good lord.
In my many years, I have seen a bike or two leak out the vent when parked, but that's rare. It ain't gonna happen at all ever, unless you fill it up and immediately park it, and leave it in the hot sun. If you are riding home after the fillup, you will burn off some fuel.

It's not rocket science. Either fill it to the brim, or don't. The capacity is not relevant.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:26 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed

<snip>
Aw lighten up a little Ed . We've come a long way since the days of odometer only and then give her a shake or two to hear how much is left, maybe even go on reserve.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:01 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I always run mine down to 0 miles dte. It seems to always take the same 5.2-5.4 gals.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:13 AM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my many years, I have seen a bike or two leak out the vent when parked, but that's rare. It ain't gonna happen at all ever, unless you fill it up and immediately park it, and leave it in the hot sun. If you are riding home after the fillup, you will burn off some fuel.

It's not rocket science. Either fill it to the brim, or don't. The capacity is not relevant.
Wait a minute Ed. Depends on how far he lives from the gas station. He could only live a block or two away and, seeing how he lives in HA, it is definately warmer in his garage than the temp of the gas coming from an underground tank. In that scenario expansion is possible.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

The capacity is not relevant.
It is to some of us! Seems that so far nobody has established how much gas the tank actually holds or how far we can ride before we have to fill up. If you are riding long distances on tour in unknown places, being sure of your range is very useful information. This is worth pursuing further!

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
Wait a minute Ed. Depends on how far he lives from the gas station. He could only live a block or two away and, seeing how he lives in HA, it is definately warmer in his garage than the temp of the gas coming from an underground tank. In that scenario expansion is possible.
Another scenario is filling up while travelling and stopping for a break, when the heat of the engine or sun on a full tank of cool gas is very likely to cause over-flow. Avoiding that is something that comes with extended experience, just as knowing how much gas we can squeeze in there!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:33 AM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

The fuel guages on my previous bike (FLTR) and current FLHTCU have been dead on accurate.

Hit's "Lo" that means there's a half gallon left (about 20 miles) Whenever I've filled 'em up right after hitting "Lo" it always takes 5 1/2 Gallons

Seems like a full 6 Gallon capacity to me,I always fill my tank as close to the top as possible.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:03 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

On my RKC I filled up with 5.8 gals after running 40 miles with the fuel light on....went 252 miles on that tank.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:20 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Exactly.

How much fuel do the lines hold? Will an in line fuel filter extend your range?
If your riding in an unfamiliar area, how far is it to the next station? Will they have 91+ octane? Are you on a track calculating to see if you can make another 3 laps? Wanting to run out at the finish line for dramatic effect (just like in the movies).
Mine doesn't get exactly the same mileage on every ride. A strong wind, city driving, country roads or interstate driving?

If you don't know how much fuel was in your tank when you put in another 5.x gallons then you don't know how much gas is in the bike.
Can you put more gas in it than it was designed for (leaving less room for expansion)? Yes.
Is it possible to fill it on a cold day and have expansion cause overflow? Yes
Just get gas when it's convenient. If its a cool morning and you know it's going to warm up then don't top off the tank. Don't worry about how much the tank holds.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best I've done is 261 miles, then could only get 5.35 gallons in on the side stand. That was mostly highway riding at 60 though.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:33 AM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have run mine with the fuel light on, the DTE reading "lo" for 40 miles and still only put in 5.7 gals (after riding 260 or so).

What I have noticed is that the DTE countdown recalculates after each fill-up. That said, my lowest mileage on a tank was 194 (seriously strong headwind across the Navajo reservation last May). The highest mileage on a tank has been 314. I was definitely ready to stop, even with my Road Zeppelin seat!

I typically get 240 out of a tank before I re-fill with 5.2 - 5.3 gallons for most of my riding (mix of city/hwy and a little mountain riding)

Quick Reply: What is the actual capacity of the 6 gal fuel Tank?