Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes and Air Cleaner Recalibration Question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Motorbones
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pipes and Air Cleaner Recalibration Question...

I'm starting to plan a Stage 1 upgrade to my K11 Road King. I know some recalibration is required when changing the air cleaner and pipes. On the official H.D. parts page, it states when changing these it also says "All EFI-equipped models require ECM calibration" (Hmmm, must be a clue!!!). I know ther are aftermarket prducts such as Power Commander and the Cobra Fuel Modulator. I assume these devices do just that. My questions are: Can this be done at the dealership without purchasing an aftermarket device and if so, about what does it cost? Is there an advatage of doing it one way over the other? Any other feedback would also be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Old 10-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Sublime1
Cruiser

the dealer will put a "stage 1" load into your ECM.

Keep in mind, your stock ECM has a computer chip in it with "programming" on it. This programming is stored in a format that can be edited by an HD tech, or by someone knowledgeable with the TTS Mastertuner. (or for older bikes, Screamin Eagle Race Tuner (SERT))

This programming can be changed, to accommodate different configurations, pipes, cams, etc. So when you hear "stage one load" that means the HD tech edits the file stored on your ECM, and then re-uploads it with his custom settings thereby "burning it into" the memory on your bike's computer.

Its based off, loosely, fuel, timing and ignition settings. etc. There's other stuff in there, but mostly what you'll be getting is more fuel @ a given RPM, and more or less spark depending on the effect the new pipes and breather have on the engine.

The stock harley loads are sufficient to accommodate for your pipes and A/C but not usually very peformance oriented. The techs are more concerned with keeping the bike in warranty, and churning out labor hours, than they are with squeezing every last HP out of your pricey go-fast parts.

Now, an aftermarket controller, generally is connected between your ECM, and your fuel injection / ignition system. It is programmed with a list of settings or a "map" for your intended setup, and it tells the ECM what it needs to hear, in order to make the fuel, ignition, timing, etc. work correctly for the setup.

(e.g. no change to the stored programming on your bikes computer.) The Power commander, etc. can be unplugged and the bike will revert back to the stored programming in it's ECM. Since this is always "burned into" the ROM on the ECM, it's always there. So that in the event your plug-in aftermarket tuner should fail for some reason (unlikely.) you can unplug it, and still limp home with your stock settings

The benefit is that you don't have to go back to HD, and pay another 2hrs or labor to have it reprogrammed when you get a whim for those new rineharts or a fuelmoto 107" kit. Plus you can tune to your hearts content, like most of us do.

However, if you have your eye on one set of pipes and a stage 1 air cleaner, then taking it to HD is not a big deal, and you can easily purchase a tuner later, with the same effect. The benefit most of us realize right away is that a single trip to the dealer is $225 and thats about the going price of most aftermarket tuners.

Make sense ?

Last edited by Sublime1; 10-25-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Garcou
Club Member

Stage 1 download, raises your rev limiter to 6200 rpms, supposed to richen things up a bit, waste of money IMO, get a power commander and be done with it.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:44 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Buy a set of pipes/PC-V/ac system from Fuel Moto. Period. Easiest thing you'll do. If you're not planning on changing/playing with your bike all the time, it's a great way to go. If I was, or when I do, buy a 2009/10/11 bike I'd get it all done from Fuel Moto. And if you want to get a cam set-up later, just call them up. Check their web site out. Can't get any easier!

Old 10-25-2010, 11:12 PM
Motorbones
Road Master

Originally Posted by Yachtman
Buy a set of pipes/PC-V/ac system from Fuel Moto. Period. Easiest thing you'll do. If you're not planning on changing/playing with your bike all the time, it's a great way to go. If I was, or when I do, buy a 2009/10/11 bike I'd get it all done from Fuel Moto. And if you want to get a cam set-up later, just call them up. Check their web site out. Can't get any easier!

Yeah, I was checking out their site a couple days ago. They want about $680 for the whole shabang, but like you said, it's simple and I can dig that. Once it's all on, I don't plan to spen d a lot of time and/or effort trying to squeeze another one to two hp out of the beast. I called then and they basically told me to hook it all up and go riding. Werks fer me!!! I'll probably do it right after the holidays so I have some time to play around with the idea...

...Thanks!!!

Old 10-25-2010, 11:41 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's just so super easy. And everyone loves the customer service and the quality of their own pipes and etc. And if you want a set of Rineharts, or any brand, they'll dial in the PC-V and off you go! I also like that you can set some stuff up in your laptop, take it outside, download a new set of parameters and wha-la. A whole new ride. Ask them about having the capability to switch between two different set-ups. A performance/everyday, and a fuel miserly set-up for highway/distance. A member has done some great write ups (Can't remember who at the moment) so do a search. He and a few others have done some great work on the PC-V.

Have fun!

Old 10-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Bigiron
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you are referring to ICLICK. He has obviously mastered the art of PCV/Autotune. This forum is fortunate to have folks like him sharing their talent.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Get a Power Commander. Much easier to update with new maps as needed. Plus, you don't have to pay your dealer each time you may need to make an update. I've got 2 maps loaded on mine that I can switch between. One if for power and one for fuel economy on long rides - have the best of both worlds. If you buy from Fuel Moto, they will get you new maps whenever needed and are there the help with any questions you may have along the way.