Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will "Apes" work for a shorter guy???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 03:50 PM
wheelsnkeels
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi 5'9" 23" sleeves here just installed the Yaffe MBB 12.5's anguished a while over the 10's finally decided I needed the height to still use the fairing mirrors. Love them

Probably could've (should've) gone 14 comfortably but the 10's and 12's will fit your bike without extending the wires or the cables a little creative rerouting and your rolling!

Let's you sit up straight and eliminates the pain in the center of your back on long rides.

Rode 557 miles the day after I installed them and could've just kept riding. None of the discomfort the stock bars caused!

I would be either the 10's or 12's would be fine for you.

Attached Thumbnails will "Apes" work for a shorter guy???-img_1350.jpg   will "Apes" work for a shorter guy???-img_1278.jpg   will "Apes" work for a shorter guy???-profile.jpg  

Last edited by wheelsnkeels; 10-28-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:59 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sifularson
These are my 12" Outlawz. I've found that the closer I get to shoulder height, the comfortable it is for me. These bars are not very high, just below shoulder height. I'm 5'10".

nice bike na d bar. My buddy want this bar for his RK. Did you have to change cables, brake line, wires?

Old 10-28-2010, 09:06 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pit1600
nice bike na d bar. My buddy want this bar for his RK. Did you have to change cables, brake line, wires?
I did not have to change the cables but I did because I wanted diamondback clutch cable and brake line. On the Wild 1 site, there are pics of a Road Glide with the stock cable and brake line. Here is the link to that page. Notice what it says at the bottom of the page:

http://www.wild1inc.com/612Bmw.html

Here is a link to the Outlawz info page:

Outlawz Info

Old 10-29-2010, 06:14 AM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Buying bars by looking at a picture is really really difficult because what looks good for one person can be completely different for another person whether their the same size or not (bars or person)

You really should feel them out before you buy them or put them on your bike.

Even more important then height is wrist placement / angle.

Personally I like my arms spread out far apart and the grips almost but not exactly strait across my body.

The stock bars on the classic bent my wrists in so much by the end of the day my neck and back would hurt (at the base of my neck between the blades).
Once I spread the bars and turned my wrists the pain was gone.

I've seen apes that still mimic that wrist placement and angle so height or not it would have still bothered me.

I first did that with heritage bars on a road glide and it worked well but wanted my hands up off my lap. So then I went with mini apes. Now I'm on an Electra glide classic and went with the bars in the pic because the also pull back.

I tried every bar I could. I bugged every biker I saw with questions, sat on ever bike I could, went to bike shop after bike shop. But the key for me was actually putting my hands on the bars. Hope that helps

Old 10-29-2010, 08:08 AM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 5'9" and put on 16" apes on my Road King. I used to be uncomfortable with my stock bars and never could really ride long distances. Had thought about the Heritage bars but thought if I was going to make a change I would make a BIG change. Well 16" are perfect for me. A few weeks back I took a 200 mile ride with very little stops and was comfortable the entire way. This is a ride I could never have done with the stock bars. Good luck on your choice. As everyone says, hang out at a dealership and see if you can fine someone or even a used bike for sale that may have something you are looking for.

T

Old 10-29-2010, 08:13 AM
popeye0416
Advanced
Default Wild ones 12.5

I'm 5.6 AND HAVE THE 2010 SG. I put the wild ones 12.5 and they are great. I looked at them all and Wild ones are good. For Pics go to their website. http://wild1inc.com/577Btd.html

Never road with apes before this but would never go back, good luck.

Old 02-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Excellent thread. I am stressing over bar change on my 2011 RK. I'm 5'8" hate the stock bars. Just put on Mustang vintage solo with bakcrest, moved me up and forward a tiny bit. Now think i should go with the 14 WO? Anyone pull their apes back at all? I am going to change cables (covinced Mama the whole deal is for safer handling), so that's no concern. Just worried that the pull back will still not be enough and I'll have to pull bar towards me. Does that impact handling? thanks, bros.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:34 PM
stricky
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Might take a look at this. Could give you an Idea at least.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Old 02-20-2011, 03:37 PM
stricky
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm having the same issue. many on here have had me bug the hell out of them. still debating 14" and 16" carlini gangster apes. Leaning more towards 16"'s from members suggestions on here. I am 5'10.
My biggest concern is that I would be able to do controlled U-turns and parking lot maneuvers. I don't want to loose the slow handling. Anyone can ride in a straight line with any bars.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:09 PM
motordog
Road Captain

These are a bit over 18" and I am a bit over 5'9". I ride with my hands slightly above my shoulders. Very comfortable for me.

Quick Reply: will "Apes" work for a shorter guy???