Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sears Yellow/Red Jacks

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:03 PM
reh13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
Used a Sears red for 10 years and never had a problem. (did let my new RKC slip off as letting it down once but that was me not setting it on right, not the jacks fault )

Bought a J&S 2 years ago as a "gift" to myself and love it. While I have done heavy pulling and bolt torqueing on both I do think the J&S is a better built, more stable jack.

Do I like the J&S better? Yes Did the red work well for years and get donated to the son-in-law; still in service on a heavy bike? Yes
A lot of threads on this subject, but this is one of the more intelligent responses ever posted ! ! !

Old 06-21-2012, 09:12 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lowflyer
The cheap jacks work but I wouldn`t want to change a tire with one. Just watch the video for the J&S. It`s not rocket science. The width of the jack gives it stability that`s worth spending a couple hundred more for. I like my J&S.
+1 Width for stability, i would not invest in a 25# piece of...... to work on my ride. I am looking for a jack as well.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:30 PM
NETacomaFatboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Sears red jack and loved it. Then I got my 06 SE Fatboy and could not get the jack under the bike. Had to change to yellow Sears. I am not a fan of the yellow. Mine seems to drop the bike like a rock. Some that have the same jack do not have this complaint. So, whichever you get, at least you are warned and can return it if it is not to your liking.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:56 PM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used Craftsman (yellow) since 2008 and my bike lives on it with both wheels off the ground when I am not riding it. I use it when I wash it and service it. Did the same with my other bikes and my last one was heavier than the Limited.
It works for me.

Oh yeah...my buddy has a 06 ultra and uses a Habor Freight jack. Everytime he uses it the bike is 18-24 inches off the ground. He washes it on this jack and cranks it so it can as he says "shake off the water". I am sorry I do not trust anything habor freight any more. Seems everything I buy from there breaks the first time I use it.

Last edited by 12limited; 06-21-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Lectricman
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This video demonstrates the difference between all of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avJ2a0oOvCU

Old 06-23-2012, 09:59 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I had purchased a Sears Yellow Jack on Craigslist for roughly $125 and I tried it out for 1 oil change...........but it did not impress me one bit. It wobbled and flexed like crazy. I sold it on Craigslist and broke even on the deal. Then I bought a PITBULL. Love the pitbull.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:08 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Why Spend a Fortune?

My Red one works great.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:08 AM
ckamin
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I, too, have had the Sears red jack for a number of years. When I first purchased it, I upgraded all of the nuts/bolts/washers to grade 8 hardware for peace of mind and it has provided me years of trouble free, dependable service. I just replaced the tires on my Street Glide, and, with the bike secured by tie-downs, I had no issues with stability.

Although I have a Kendon lift/rack for servicing the bike, the Sears red lift works out great when I need to pull the wheels.

And regarding the Kendon bike lift/rack, I couldn't be happier. If I had the room, I'd get a Handy lift, but the Kendon stands upright when not in use and is out of the way against the wall of the garage.

Like someone said earlier in this thread, it is more often than not the user and not the equipment.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:42 PM
kitehog
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sears Red Jack since about 1995 on my 82 FXR. I just got my first Touring bike (08 FLHTC) and had it up on the red jack the other day with no problems.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:33 PM
jay.weber
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Red jack for about 1 yr, no problems for '11 RKC.

Quick Reply: Sears Yellow/Red Jacks