Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sears Yellow/Red Jacks

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 01:41 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't stress enough how important it is to put the bar through the holes on the aluminum jack and rest it down on the bar. Up till then the bike will be wobbly. Once rested it's very stable. The beauty of the aluminum jack is its light weight and how the handle is also fluid release control.

To each their own though. Gotta go with what you are comfortable with.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Bluegrasser
Road Master

How does the red/yellow jack handle a major shift in weight and balance like when you remove one of the wheels? I won't use the jack often which means a Sears jack makes more sense, but I will be removing the wheels with it so if that means I need a J&S/Pitbull then that's what I'll get.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluegrasser
How does the red/yellow jack handle a major shift in weight and balance like when you remove one of the wheels? I won't use the jack often which means a Sears jack makes more sense, but I will be removing the wheels with it so if that means I need a J&S/Pitbull then that's what I'll get.
I had the yellow jack and wouldnt even think of changing wheels on it, it was scary wobbly enough just sitting there.

Went with the J&S and now I can climb on the thing without straps, and without a hint of worry (the J&S video don't lie!). No more stressful moments with the J&S jack.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:43 PM
09ultraclassicrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the sears red jack for a couple of years now. It works just fine. I have had the bike up in the air with the front tire off and it was not an issue.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:20 PM
Crusing
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bombarde32
Hi all. Getting ready to do my 20k miles service on an '09 Electra Glide but I still need to get the jack. Wondering if anyone has experience with the yellow or red jack from SEARS, how good they are, and what the "real" difference is?

I don't care about turn tables or anything fancy. I just need something to reliably go up and down. Reliable being the big thing because I hate having to purchase things twice because I bought garbage the first time around.
I have used the yellow jack for about 4 years. Good service and no problems.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Blackheat
Tourer

had a 100 buck jack didn't like it gave it up and spent $$$ on Pit Bull, no worries now!!!

Attached Thumbnails Sears Yellow/Red Jacks-bike-10-16-2010.jpg  
Old 10-25-2010, 07:25 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

I have buffed, polished, and wrenched with it on the RED jack. It's been on it for up to a week. Have to admit I was nervous at first but after it teetered all day during a detail,,,,, it ain't gonna fall unless you screw up.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:23 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug45601
Since 1994 I've owned all sizes of Harley's from Sportsters to Ultra's Also have owned and used Jacks like Larine, Sears Red and Yellow, J&S, Pit Bull and a Harbor Frieght.

Ive only used the Jacks for general maintenance and storage but can tell ya the Pit Bull was superior for me on the stability whereas the Lorine (sold at tractor supply) was the poorest excuse I ever used for a jack.

Back and forth on different bikes and jacks throughout the years has always bought me back to the Craftsman Red Jack... Not because it's the best but because I feel it the best value for the dollar! Furthermore, if you just need to lift the bike for occassional maintenance work, cleaning, and or storage then why buy the house when an umbrella will do?!

The argument between the Sears Craftsman Red vs the Yellow is: wieght, low profile and looks however, the hydraulic pump on the Yellow jack is "specific to the jack itself" meaning it's non-exchangeable. Also the Yellow jack's construction lends to more wobble then the red jack.

All said and done... Yes the pit bull and J&S are superb motorcycle jacks and are made for the daily wrenchers but for me are somewhat overkill for my needs.... so check your needs, check your wallet, double check your piece of mind then make your selection! Be it hot dogs or steak.... it all turns to shi... well you get the idea.
This may very well be the best response I have read on any thread concerning bike lifts.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:58 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
I can't stress enough how important it is to put the bar through the holes on the aluminum jack and rest it down on the bar. Up till then the bike will be wobbly. Once rested it's very stable. The beauty of the aluminum jack is its light weight and how the handle is also fluid release control.

To each their own though. Gotta go with what you are comfortable with.
Excuse my ignorance Boomerbob but what bar and what holes? All I have is the main jack handle. Don't see any holes through the linkage that could be used to stabilize this puppy. Help a brother out.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master

Oh did I mention?
Sears jacks are junk.
J&S jack are not junk.
End of story.
Hook, line, sinker, DONE !

Quick Reply: Sears Yellow/Red Jacks