Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sears Yellow/Red Jacks

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Bombarde32
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leohd
$20,000 bike $100 jack....get a pitbull lift and be happy
I ran across them and they looked nice. Not sure how a high priced bike necessitates a more expensive jack though ...

I'll take another look at the ones recommended in here. Kind of what I was afraid of though in posting the question. 1/2 say SEARS is fine. 1/2 say it's crap :P

Old 10-24-2010, 10:22 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bombarde32
I ran across them and they looked nice. Not sure how a high priced bike necessitates a more expensive jack though ...
It doesn't

Old 10-24-2010, 10:28 PM
09RKC
Tourer

Originally Posted by leohd
$20,000 bike $100 jack....get a pitbull lift and be happy
Amen! I had a yellow until one of the two flip-supports started slipping over the stop. The 2nd flip-support couldn't stop the fall, and once it starts there's no stopping it. Damned good thing I got in the habit of engagine the hydraulic valve in addition to the steel stops. That's the only thing that saved it. Pitbull's great! Want a heart attack, go Sears <g>. My experience anyway...

Old 10-24-2010, 10:55 PM
Bombarde32
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 09RKC
Amen! I had a yellow until one of the two flip-supports started slipping over the stop. The 2nd flip-support couldn't stop the fall, and once it starts there's no stopping it. Damned good thing I got in the habit of engagine the hydraulic valve in addition to the steel stops. That's the only thing that saved it. Pitbull's great! Want a heart attack, go Sears <g>. My experience anyway...
Well, I'm young enough I could probably survive one heart attack.

But let me cry uncle on this thread. I saw a few youtube videos of the yellow jack stands and the bikes wobbled the entire jack. The price was right but that wasn't the quality level I had in mind. I wanted the cheapest "solid" one I could get. So I just ordered the J&S. 100 cheaper than Pit Bull and the only difference I could see was a 4 ton jack instead of 6 and smaller casters. But I'll only have the bike up 3 or 4 times a year for service so ... this is plenty for me.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Bombarde32
Cruiser

One last post to correct myself. I just saw on the J&S website that it does have a 6 ton bottle jack. Don't know where I got 4 from ...

Old 10-25-2010, 12:11 AM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bombarde32
Hi all. Getting ready to do my 20k miles service on an '09 Electra Glide but I still need to get the jack. Wondering if anyone has experience with the yellow or red jack from SEARS, how good they are, and what the "real" difference is?

I don't care about turn tables or anything fancy. I just need something to reliably go up and down. Reliable being the big thing because I hate having to purchase things twice because I bought garbage the first time around.

I've had the red Sears jack for two years now, no problems, works for me.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:15 AM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I bought a Sears Yellow Jack about a month ago. I was looking for something to lift my new Limited for cleaning and routine service. IMHO the jack is well made but the basic design makes it a compromise for long heavy bikes. My last jack (sold with my last bike) was similar in design to the J&S only much much cheaper. It had locks but not nearly as finely made. Paid $89 for it off the back of one of those tool trucks and it was rock steady and never failed.
The Sears jack is steady laterally but rocks like a hobby horse fore and aft when off the ground. Even with the jack placed all the way back under the frame the bike still has a rear weight bias causing the bike to sit tail low on the jack. Was the bike going to fall off the jack? No. Did it inspire confidence. No. Just washing the bike caused a rocking motion.
I bought the Yellow Jack because it would take up a little less floor space in my cluttered garage. The base seemed large enough to allow for a stable platform. I don't know if it's the aluminum construction and/or the dimensions and design but a Full Dresser is not ideal for this jack. Just because the jack is rated to hold the bike doesn't mean they go well together. I'll be looking for a new jack.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:42 AM
lowflyer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

The cheap jacks work but I wouldn`t want to change a tire with one. Just watch the video for the J&S. It`s not rocket science. The width of the jack gives it stability that`s worth spending a couple hundred more for. I like my J&S.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:44 AM
SIU 96
Tourer

I use the harbor freight jack it is a bit wobbly, solved that problem by lowering it back down on a 4x4 across the frame, solid as a rock . The worst part was the 2 stage release, you have to go through the fast release before you get to the slow release. And it will drop 2 to 3 inches before slow kicks in seems like a lot farther though. But I just deal with it.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:56 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

I've been happy with both of my Harbor Freight lifts for years. I gave a red one away after using for 5 years and it never failed me.

A couple years ago I picked up the aluminum HF lift with the control in the handle. Plus it's much lighter. The key thing is to get it up in the air, put the bar through the holes, and let the weight settle down on the bar and everything is fine. If you don't do that it could feel squirmy.

I like the aluminum one much better.

Quick Reply: Sears Yellow/Red Jacks