Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about clutch release cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010 | 03:57 PM
tomryan
|
Intermediate
Default question about clutch release cover

I have a 2008 FLHX that has a "leak" (more on that later).. Anyway, as I've been noticing some grime near where my clutch cable enters the cover, I checked that first (it was "loose"), anyway, I attempted to tighten to specs, and now it is loose (very loose, I can move it around essentially).

so, my question is, do i need to replace the cover??? is there a bolt on the inside that I can replace? (I need to change fluids anyway (15k), of course, I'm not happy about having to pull the exhaust, but oh well)...

anyway... thoughts??

Also, the "leak" i suspect is maybe a combination of this issue and perhaps due to overflow of the primary??? (which I've heard can leak down from the stator).

Thanks for your opinions.

Old 10-24-2010 | 04:00 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member

It could just be that the cable ferrule (where the cable screws into the cover) needs a new O-ring.

Old 10-24-2010 | 04:09 PM
shagnasty
Road Master

I agree with above post. I've changed my clutch cable a few times but always used a new o ring. These things can be a booger to get the threads started. Have patience! Its not a big deal but you will have to remove that exhust to get the cover off. I've heard people modifying an allen wrench and getting it off without taking the exhaust off but I didn't try that way.

Old 10-24-2010 | 04:09 PM
tomryan
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DrPlastic
It could just be that the cable ferrule (where the cable screws into the cover) needs a new O-ring.
I think there is too much play in the cable for that to be the issue alone. Is there a bolt on the inside or is the cover just threaded? Does anyone know? (the parts manual seems to implie just threads, but the photograph makes it appear that there might be a bolt)..

Old 10-24-2010 | 04:15 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by tomryan
I think there is too much play in the cable for that to be the issue alone. Is there a bolt on the inside or is the cover just threaded? Does anyone know? (the parts manual seems to implie just threads, but the photograph makes it appear that there might be a bolt)..
It just screws into the cover. No bolt inside. There is an O-ring on the cable end.

Last edited by sifularson; 10-24-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2010 | 04:22 PM
tomryan
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sifularson
It just screws into the cover. No bolt inside. There is an O-ring on the cable end.
thanks. well, I'll replace that o-ring first and go from there.

Old 10-24-2010 | 04:49 PM
tomryan
|
Intermediate

bugger.. I just looked and pulled on it again.. it would appear that it "snapped" off where the threads connected to the clutch cable..

wtf??? is there a way to just replace the connection at the end or must I buy a whole new clutch cable? if I must go that route, is there an upgraded cable that y'all® recommend?

Old 10-24-2010 | 05:12 PM
randytro
Banned

Last edited by randytro; 07-19-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2010 | 05:19 PM
tomryan
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by randytro
You do not need to pull your exhaust off. You do not need to modify an allan wrench as long as you have the type of allen wrench with the rounded tips that work at an angle (set costs $5 at harbor freight). Just take all the bolts out except the bottom two, loosen those but do not pull them from the cover, just take the cover off with them still in it and put it back on the same way. Works for me. Also, you might want to think about replacing those bolts with some stainless steel ones (check Ace hardware). The OEM bolts are very soft and easy to strip the heads.
Thanks for the tip. Seriously not happy about it snapping.. wtf?? reminds me of when we were working on an engine of an old cb350 years ago.. we were tightening a bolt when it snapped (at around 1/2 of the torque spec). of course, we were teenagers at the time and it wasn't our bike, it was our friend's.. I still think he blames us for that one..

Old 10-24-2010 | 05:31 PM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member

I found that the cable is WAY easier to thread on if the cover is off the bike. Lessens the chance of cross threading the soft aluminum threads of the cover that way! Just get it started and spin the cover on! Easy as pie!

Last edited by DrPlastic; 10-24-2010 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply: question about clutch release cover