Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Starter

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Beattle55
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Street Glide Starter

I have about 37,000KLM on my 2008 Street Glide now, and I have noticed a problem with the starter. Over the past 15,000KLM the problem seems to have gotten worse. Occasionally, when I try to start the bike, the starter drive seems to kick out from the ring gear, and make a terrible grinding noise. Lately, this will happen a couple of times in a row before the starter spins the motor enough to start. This only seems to happen if the bike is fairly warm and almost never when the engine is cold. Has anyone else had a problem similar to this on 2008's?

I have the bike in the shop right now getting repairs to damage cause by getting rear-ended at a stop light. Fortunately the guy in the cage that hit me was going very slow, and only pushed me forward a couple of feet. The bike only needs a new saddle bag and possibly a new rear fender. So two months for new color matched parts to come in causes me to get "free storage" for the winter.

Anyway, as the bike is in the shop, is there an issue with the starters on this model that should be addressed?

Old 10-24-2010, 02:01 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe its just wore out sounds like a starter clutch to me.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:23 PM
jagerbomb
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

don't be surprised if it turns out to the compensator gone bad. i was suffering the same symptoms and the dealer replaced the starter clutch and then put a SE compensator and that fixed it

Originally Posted by Beattle55
I have about 37,000KLM on my 2008 Street Glide now, and I have noticed a problem with the starter. Over the past 15,000KLM the problem seems to have gotten worse. Occasionally, when I try to start the bike, the starter drive seems to kick out from the ring gear, and make a terrible grinding noise. Lately, this will happen a couple of times in a row before the starter spins the motor enough to start. This only seems to happen if the bike is fairly warm and almost never when the engine is cold. Has anyone else had a problem similar to this on 2008's?

I have the bike in the shop right now getting repairs to damage cause by getting rear-ended at a stop light. Fortunately the guy in the cage that hit me was going very slow, and only pushed me forward a couple of feet. The bike only needs a new saddle bag and possibly a new rear fender. So two months for new color matched parts to come in causes me to get "free storage" for the winter.

Anyway, as the bike is in the shop, is there an issue with the starters on this model that should be addressed?

Old 06-05-2011, 05:56 PM
psalm10720
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2008 street glide as well with 30k and so far they have replaced the starter, starter clutch pinion gear twice. Fortunately I bought the extended warranty. This morning the starter completely did not engage the gear. Sounds like a blender when you press the start button.

since new there has been about 2400.00 done in warranty work. I have gone through 5 windshields and luckily the dealership put the windshield on the extended warranty. I love the bike but it does seem as though for such a quality product alot goes wrong...

Old 06-05-2011, 06:32 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,242 Likes on 1,851 Posts