Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing lamps to match the new LED headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Passing lamps to match the new LED headlights

Been alot of talk about LED headlights here lately. They obviously throw a great mount of light out and it is a whiter light. Which will look odd with the halogen passing lamps on. HD has their LED passing lamps but there is a less expensive option with a better warranty.

Custom Dynamics Sun Spots

I have seen these in person and they are bright and very white. They had them on display with the Truck Lites LED headlight and it looked perfect together. And they carry a 3 year warranty against LED failure.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:27 AM
gbinman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have looked at several ads for their lights. There hasn't been any mention of how the light is dispersed or if they are DOT approved.

I have the Truck-Lite LED Headlamp and like it a lot. It's light is much whiter. At night it's easy to see how the spots fill in on the road because they are a different color.

After I installed the headlight, I showed up in the morning for a group ride. All the riders there immediately were curious about the headlamp. I have noticed that the spots usually appear brighter when I see Ultras coming toward me.

My concern isn't just about looking brighter which may just mean being more blinding to oncoming traffic. Where the light goes so I can see more of the road is what I care about... my old eyes need some help at night, especially with the country roads around here that don't have any street lighting.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:32 PM
lschultz
Road Master

When I put the Custom Dynamics headlight on mine I also put there LED spots much better light now. They are white. I had 50w bulbs in my spots before and these are much whiter. Thought I might have to adjust the spots down some but nobody has flipped me the lights since I have had them so I will leave them where they are.

Old 10-24-2010, 01:43 PM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lschultz
When I put the Custom Dynamics headlight on mine I also put there LED spots much better light now. They are white. I had 50w bulbs in my spots before and these are much whiter. Thought I might have to adjust the spots down some but nobody has flipped me the lights since I have had them so I will leave them where they are.

do you think they are that much better then silver stars in the 3 lights? ie for the addition cost of the leds

Old 10-25-2010, 04:35 AM
gbinman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by slothy
do you think they are that much better then silver stars in the 3 lights? ie for the addition cost of the leds
I can only comment on the headlamp thus far. I have the Truck-Lite LED (also sold by Kury and CD). It is brighter and definitely whiter... the bluish white that is typical of white LEDS. When on high beam the low beam LEDs stay on. Part of my decision was the longevity benefit. Batwing headlights are easy to change but I became sensitive to the issue owning a RG where changing headlamp bulbs is a serious PITA in comparison.

In my RG, I had switched to the PIAA bulbs which were much whiter and a bit brighter. They didn't last too long though and I switched to silver stars which were locally available and liked them too.

I have thought about silver stars for the spots. I am not thrilled with the look of the HD LED spots or the price. I want to see how they perform before going that route.

I have a couple PAR 36 Aircraft lamps that I have thinking about trying in the spots. They really put out the light; but have a short life span. In aircraft that isn't as much of an issue as they are only used for landing. Texas probably wouldn't care but other locales would flip if they saw them fired up.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:49 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I've got the CD headlight and will be adding the spots shortly. The headlight is amazing.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:35 AM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you guys suck, i guess i need to add that to my to get list for this winter lol

Old 10-25-2010, 09:30 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

led passing lamps from HD as stated are excellent.Other motorists think im like dam! ambulance or a VIP or some shiza like that gettin out the way. No one has flipped me the high beams yet(2 nights out riding).