Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Scratch!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 07:57 AM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help! Scratch!!!

I don't know how it got there, but, I washed the bike really good - about 3 or 4 hours later I decided to go for a ride - as I was walking up to the bike I noticed a white line about 2.5 inches on the top of the tank somewhat near the seat - thought it was a thread from the towel - went to brush it off an GASP it was a scratch!

Now what do I do?

Old 10-23-2010, 08:44 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

Do a search here. You will get all kinds of opinions. Try and get over the shock first, time will help, before you make any big decisions like touching up or using a machine. Myself, I would use Harleys scratch/swirl remover and try to knock it down by hand. Make sure you use a clean or new microfiber towel and go easy. You don't want a bunch of swirl marks around it. You might want to rub in the direction of the scratch first, if no help, perpendicular to scratch and it will take several applications. Their product isn't to abrasive. It probably won't remove it but will make it less noticeable. I wouldn't get crazy with it unless your a pro or you will make it worse.

Last edited by Chuck1; 10-24-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For small scratches/dings go to http://www.colorrite.com. They have matching colors (you'll need your color code) & clear coat in pens. If you take your time & follow instructions small blemishes will disappear.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:14 AM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It will likely rub out with paste wax....

Old 10-23-2010, 09:35 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

as long as it didnt go past the clear coat. if it did u need to have it painted if not u can buy this product called (finnesse it) at any autobody store it will take out the scratch and it wont leave swirls it is a mild abrasive used to remove lite scratches and it is a swirl remover. good luck if u need any more advise PM me i do this for a living. been painting for 30 + years.
Rick

Old 10-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I would go to a reputable automotive paint shop and have them buff it out. any kind of filler will need to be reapplied after you wash it a few times. Once it is buffed out it will be gone for good.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:53 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

got a nasty scratch once on my rear fender, deep enough to feel with my fingernail, used Quixx Paint Scratch Remover kit, came out really good but it is allot of work. Basically you wet sand, polish with light compound then a finer polish/wax to finish. Very happy with the results.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:38 AM
DMorr99
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use that scratch as justification for a custom paint job.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:40 AM
BigD629
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 3" scratch on top of my saddle bag. I used Maguire's Scratch X,and it took it right out. It took repeated applications and a little elbow grease, but it isn't even visible anymore. Looks brand new!

Old 10-23-2010, 10:41 AM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait till you see the scuffs in the clearcoat on the side of your tank caused from your jeans rubbing on the tank.

OMG...........

Try the Harley swirl remover, go easy it cleans up scuffs and scratches real well.......

Ride On...

Quick Reply: Help! Scratch!!!