Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

detach tour pach

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:27 PM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Default detach tour pach

I judt got the complete kit to detach my tour pack, including wire harnace. How much have I bit off?

Old 10-22-2010, 07:44 AM
3dynaP
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a fairly simple process. Step by step. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:55 AM
CT-Bagger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just go step by step.
It should take a couple hours and then another hour to do the crimping for the pak lights.
If you have average mechanical skills you will be fine.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Gitarded
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 92 Posts

Just a quick word of caution. When you take the tour pack off have someone helping you. They are not very balanced and you run the risk of scratching your paint. After you are used to it it's a one person job to take on and off. Just make sure the wiring is disconnected or you will be dragging your bike along with the pak (and no hands left to disconnect them). Wonder how I know that???

Gitarded

Old 10-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Dino M
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep....
It's a very easy process as long as you take your time and follow it step by step.

+1 Gitarded. Nothing like screaming from the garage for help! LOL!!!!

Also, good idea to empty the pack before you connect/disconnect the pack.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:24 PM
badjustbad
Tourer

This is timely for me. I just purchased a 2011 FLHTK and I want to order the detachable tour pack hardware and wiring harness. The intent is to "Street Glide" the bike when I'm not on long trips.

My questions:
Where do the antennas go (CB and radio)? Do you manually move them each time to add/remove the tour pack?
Where does the license plate go?
How much time does it take to swap between tour pack on/off?

Thanks for your help guys.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:46 PM
CT-Bagger
Road Master

Originally Posted by badjustbad
This is timely for me. I just purchased a 2011 FLHTK and I want to order the detachable tour pack hardware and wiring harness. The intent is to "Street Glide" the bike when I'm not on long trips.

My questions:
Where do the antennas go (CB and radio)? Do you manually move them each time to add/remove the tour pack?

The radio antenna is re-located down on the left between the saddle bag and frame.
The CB antenna I am not bothering with and just packed away the cable under the seat.
The license plate goes on to brackets provided just above the tail light. ( I am looking into a way to get it down below the tail light but it's fine above it).
It literally takes me 5 minutes or less to swap it on or off when using the radio, lights, and rear speakers. If you use the CB add 1 minute. Honestly.
The seat has to be lifted off anyway so when I take it off I swap out my Ultra seat for a street glide seat and whalahh!! you have an instant transformation all for around $700.00 ( including the seat I bought off e-bay which is flooded with them).
Check back this weekend as I'm updating my signature pic with a shot more from the rear so you will see the license plate better.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by badjustbad

My questions:

Just my answers to some of your questions.

I put Hidden Antenna for both CB and AM/FM inside the fairing. This made it easier when the Tour Pak is removed.
I also have the Boom! Audio Music and Intercom Kit (77108-09A). This makes it so my passenger can still have the headset and controls when the Tour Pak is removed. I also eliminated the Passenger CB controls. This makes it so I only have the Tour Pak lights and speaker wires to hide (under the seat) when i take the Tour Pak off.

The two-up docking hardware kit (54205-09) alone does not include the License Plate relocation hardware. It is included if you get the Detachable Tour-Pak Rack Kit (53246-09A) for '09-Later Electra Glide Models. Complete kit includes two-up docking hardware kit, Detachable Two-Up Tour-PakŪ Rack, chrome strut covers, chrome license plate holder, reflector, and AM/FM antenna relocation hardware.

As for how much time required, It took less than five minutes to take off and put on before I moved the antennas inside the Fairing. After I moved them, I could remove the Tour Pak in less than a minute, and it took just a few seconds longer to put back on. This was because I needed to find the Front Docking point. It is Great. Just remember to remove everything from the Tour Pak. It is real heave with it full.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:48 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I takes me longer to haul my tour pack upstairs to the spare bedroom than it does to remove it.

I had the dealer do mine because it was free labor, but after seeing all it entails, I would guess an afternoon would cover it.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:53 PM
badjustbad
Tourer

Thanks to everyone for their responses. You've been very helpful.

I find it interesting that H-D will provide documentation on the web site for something as simple as the halogen light bulb kit but they don't provide documentation for some of the more complex items, like the tour pack relocation hardware. When you can see the hardware provided it tends to answer most of the questions you might have.

Quick Reply: detach tour pach