Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temperature & Level LCD readout

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 05:32 AM
Upswept
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine worked flawlessly for two years. Recently, it is missing some of the parts of the temp numbers. Kind of hard to tell the difference between a 3 and a 0 or a 5 and a 3. The level indicator works fine, though.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:49 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the analog one from JEScustomaccents and like it a lot.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:08 AM
Robert_W
Tourer

I've had one for over a year without problems. I will purchase the in dash eventually.

Ride safe,

Bob.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:42 AM
motordad
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine lasted eight months. The light and digits quit, than the window filled with oil. I took it apart and the little wires fell off. Now it is only a manual dipstick. Going back to original dipstick as soon as I find it.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:51 AM
M3S90
6th Gear

Been using one all year, accurate, works great. No problems so far.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:05 AM
PieceFrog
Cruiser

I had one for a while. Now it's resting in peace at the local landfill.

Over time the engine heat is too much for these things.

Installed HD dash gauge and presto...

Old 10-21-2010, 10:22 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GJS-53
I am considering buying a HD LCD oil temperature and level indicator which retrofits the factory dipstick on a 2010 103 Limited.
Is anyone who is using this product happy with it or is it junk?
You probably don't really need to check your oil that much, and with the dipstick gauge it is unsafe to view it while riding. So, why not buy the fairing-mounted oil-temp gauge. It does not have a reputation for being problematic, unlike the dipstick version, and it is visible at all times. It also costs about the same, with the downside that you'll need to install it, but that isn't very difficult.

I had two early dipstick gauges (temp only) on my old RK, and the first one lasted about a week. The second lasted three years and died after the very thin and fragile o-rings shrunk and allowed water to enter the housing. I didn't replace it and I would consider one of these only if no other options were available.

Last edited by iclick; 10-21-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 10:43 AM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the LED dipstick on 2 different bikes in 2 1/2 yrs. and it's worked without a hitch,all though due to all the neg. reports on it I'm always expecting it to crater.As far as mounting the temp. gauge in the fairing I'm so compulsive I'd probably get fixated on the gauge and end up as a hood ornament on a Kenworth.I'll check the temp. when gassing up and not worry about it and spoil my ride.As long as the bike's tuned and running great what can I do about the oil temp on a hot day.The ambient air gauge on my Limited seems to be fairly accurate so does serve some purpose now.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:59 AM
wyattburp
6th Gear

I just picked up one a few weeks ago, I love it. Time will tell though...

Old 07-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Tomz1178
6th Gear

Had mine dipstick gauge 3 years now, no problems so far, On another note, I just installed HD fairing mounted gauge and I'm getting a 50 degree reading difference between the too my dipstick 263* and as close as I can decipher dash gauge 210*(dash mount gauge confusing to read). I think that this is because when the gauge probe is turned into the adapter the probe is about a 1/4" inside the adapter, this is further compounded by the adapter itself not extending or barely into the oil pan, not allowing the probe to actually contact oil flow. The location of the probe is actully almost flush to the outside of the oil pan, add air flow while moving and there is a big differance in temp reading. My conclusion (1st the probe should be longer, 2nd threads on the probe and the adapter should be cut so that both parts screw in a little further putting the probe into the oil flow. I'm going to check if I can cut the threads a bit deeper to see if I can run further in.

Quick Reply: Oil Temperature & Level LCD readout