Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7 fatalties in 30 days

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:42 AM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
So, you're saying we don't need to wear a helmet, buckle a seatbelt, use child safety seats, carry a gun, or ever go see a doctor because it doesn't matter?
I think what his point is that you can brake for the car that stops hard in front of you...
or you can take the ditch at pile it into a tree...or you can swerve left and take a header from an on coming car....
but if you did hold it straight and brake in time for the car in front of you, the car coming up behind you will run you over anyway....

I'm going out for a ride and enjoy the day.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:43 AM
lfalla
Advanced

I just got nack from Biketoberfest and heard 5 guys on bikes were hit at one time and the driver took off!!!!WTF!!!! I am unsure of the outcome but they were all rushed to the hospital. They need to have riding clothes that blows up into a ballon of some sort to protect riders.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:19 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my simple a** 2 cents. First, I'm very sorry for the families and their losses. May the good Lord be with them and comfort them. Second, if you're getting scared, perhaps it is time to pack it in my friend. Get a Volvo or something "safe" but otherwise if your this is in your blood get the loudest, most politically incorrect set of pipes you can buy and a big mothertrucker set of airhornes and put them on the side and let's go blasting down the road. I'm 58, think I'm 28 and to be honest I'd rather go out on I-90 headed back from Sturgis than looking out the window in some nursing home somewhere trying to remember when I used to ride. Do I have a death wish...heck no..but let's live like it's the only go round you will get ..because it is. Ride safe!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CruzN
I believe it's the cell phone/texting that has caused the raise in more MC accidents. They are watching out of their peripheral vision and bikes aren't as big as cars.
I watch them texting with both hands while driving with their elbows on the freeway at 70mph.
Flying thru stop lights because they where reading a text.

The only way to stop this is to disable those phone features if the phone is moving more then 5 mph.. I like my cell phone but don't want to kill someone while using it.

It used to be drunk drivers, not it's texter's ..

My own daughter is guilty, she was reading a text and reared a pickup sitting still in the middle of the road waiting to turn left. It totaled her car but the cell phone survived. It didn't scare her till I told her, " that could have been your dad on his MC and I wouldn't be here to take your phone away ".. That was when it finally soaked in how dangerous it was.
+1

There are probably many reasons, but primary among them are that there are more potential distractions for drivers now than there were 20 years ago. Chief among distractions are texting, web browsing, and people on cell phones while driving. I think this is one big difference between drivers and traffic 10-15 years ago and today. You still had people changing music, drinking coffee, or messing with the kids, etc. back then; but smart phones and apps and texting - and people doing this chit while driving vehicles - have really changed the game between traffic stats from a decade ago and today.

At least that's my take on the situation.

Be careful out there folks....

Old 10-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Another thing that has not been brought up on motorcycle deaths is Alcohol. In my area by far the largest percentage of motorcycle deaths result from alcohol use by the rider. When it is late at night/early morning hours, single vehicle crash in a curve or a fence or field, you can pretty much guess it was alcohol involved. The biker lifestyle among many Harley riders seems to bring a lot of alcohol consumption which brings the accidents up also.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CruzN
I believe it's the cell phone/texting that has caused the raise in more MC accidents. They are watching out of their peripheral vision and bikes aren't as big as cars.
I watch them texting with both hands while driving with their elbows on the freeway at 70mph.
Flying thru stop lights because they where reading a text.

The only way to stop this is to disable those phone features if the phone is moving more then 5 mph...
I agree with that suggestion but try to sell it to the hundreds of thousands that commute daily by train or bus or simply as a passenger. I wish there was a simple answer.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Mike Rice
Intermediate

I agree about the cell phone use and driving, even if it were against the law ( which it should be) the cops would be hard pressed to enforce it. I was almost nailed yesterday by a woman yapping on her cell phone and pulling over on me with out total reguard of anyone in the lane beside her, when I blew my horn she had to set up to see me in her side view mirror. I just shook my head and counted to ten real slow (also counted my blessings first). I think all drivers even automobiles should be required to take and pass the MSF course maybe it would help them understand how it feels to be a more responsible driver. Just a thought.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:29 AM
baldridge
Intermediate

I ride to work as often as I can, and here in the DC area traffic is always heavy. Everytime I ride someone will come over on me, and usually they're either talking on their phone or txting.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:33 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Our prayers go out to the victims and their families. This is way too sad! I think the main problem today, people are in such a hurry! If you try to drive the speed limit, you'll get rear ended. I've thought many times while riding, why in the hell are these people going so fast. Lot's of times someone will fly by me and I'll catch them down the road at the next light. Couple that with the cell phone and you have a deadly combination. Bike Rider's need to slow down as well!!!

Old 10-20-2010, 11:36 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
I came around a corner on the BRP last weekend and there was a SG (I think) laying in the road. Another full dresser was off the road and down in the woods. The left hander they were going around was not bad at all, don't know what caused it. Two couples were riding them. Police and ambulance had not arrived yet. They had to send someone to make the 911 call because there was no cell service, good reason to carry a Spot Satellite Messenger. They had no idea if anyone was on the way or not. luckily the help arrived about 10 minutes after we came upon them. 3 with minor road rash and bruises and one complaining of back and neck pain.
Yeah traffic was fairly light up there at least on Sunday. Gives you the urge to hit the throttle. My wife was getting scared so I slowed down. Some of those switchbacks are tricky.

Quick Reply: 7 fatalties in 30 days