Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Playing MP3's On GPS ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Playing MP3's On GPS ?

Ironically I've been getting tired of tunes lately and listening mostly to my VTwin's rumble,but that comes & goes.

Been using a CD loaded with MP3 files,also my iPod.There's things I like and dislike about both.Leaning towards getting a Garmin 660 this winter.How well does the MP3 function work ? I know you can put in whatever size memory card you want,but can the Garmin shuffle music,use playlists etc ?

I'd like to keep it simple and use an MP3 CD for day rides and play MP3's off a GPS on road trips.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Roger79111
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one and I use it for an MP3 player like you are saying. I feel the volume is less than amazing, but I use headphones not bluetooth or speakers. I also have a Road King, so I probably have more wind noise than you would. Ar far as functions go, it does work well. Easy to control, but not as much as your iPod is.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Sefferdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Garmin can handle playlists, shuffle, etc.... Not sure about the 660, but the 550 can only handle 1,000 MP3s though. No matter how many you load, it will only recognize the first 1,000. Other than that limitation, I love mine. Never use the CD player on the bike.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:41 PM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

The 665 Zumo (same as 660 but has XM) has no limits on number of songs, only limit is because the size of Micro card you put in. Stereo is great that's all I listen to. I have about 2000 tunes on mine . I love it.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:50 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

MY Garmin 760 plays mp3's fine - I use a 8 gig san disk card(s).

I plug it into the 3.5 mm hole ... I use a Booster-roo from Radio Shack to bump up the line out strength and it plays way louder, I use the booster-roo for my home stereo as well, costs less than $30 - and makes it as good as you could hope for ... uses 1 AA battery and last for 10 + hours ...

Garmin sells factory refurbished units for much discounted on THEIR web site ...
best deal out there ...

Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Roger79111
Advanced

Sounds like I should look for a booster-roo...

Old 10-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

Some great info here that's going to help.Increasing line signal makes sense,I know my iPod volume is always maxed out to amp the signal to the Harmon Kardon -
The Boost-eroo idea might be the trick for GPS use.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:45 AM
tincup64
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the 660. i find that there is alot of disparity of the mp3's and how they are downloaded. i understand the technology and why this happens, its just a PIA for me personally. i also dont really use mp3's or ipod device other than when riding. it also requires me to do all the organizing of the music and have the gps mounted whenever i want to listen to music.

for these reasons, i am seriously considering the integrated XM module for next years riding season. if i can get the interface on ebay or for an xmas gift - then i would be ok with the xm fee to have ease of use, diversity of genres, better signal than fm and no commercials.

tin

Old 10-20-2010, 08:54 AM
TOK DADDY
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Garmin 660 and have my entire music collection downloaded to the micro card that I installed. Volume plays great - I have a Road King and have J&M speakers mounted to my bars. Plenty loud - does shuffle and repeat. I haven't had any problems.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:57 PM
Honest Abe
Advanced

If you haven't picked one up yet, I recommend the Tom Tom 720.
It can transmit music over the HD radio. Just select a channel and you can enjoy your MP#'s through the HD Stereo. I actually utilize the aux. input. and this way I have navigation and MP3, right through the Aux. input. I love it and by far the best GPS unit I ever owned. Can't really wish it had any other features, because it is loaded and has more features than I even can use.

Hope this helps in time for Christmas

Quick Reply: Playing MP3's On GPS ?