Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Nightmare 7 hrs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010 | 01:31 PM
gmc
|
Road Warrior
Default Electrical Nightmare 7 hrs.

I'm hoping this may help some, I would hate to pay Harley tech to try to find this since it only blows fuse when hit bump.

Just got thru w about 7 hrs. of frustration. First noticed that running lights weren't working after attaching my IBA plate as a mud flap under the fender using the trim light bolts. Light fuse is blown but lights work when new fuse installed, blows when I leave house and hit bump at end of driveway. They probale haven't worked for awhile. Naturally thought I mess the wiring up there so took it off as well as trim light and check for bear wires but none notice. Next I move on to the right handle bar switch housing since I've had pinched wires there before and also had to replace the cruise switch. I've had switch housing apart several times changing grips and it's easy to pinch wires in tight space. Spot a couple wires that are kinked but not bare so put some tape on them and try to get them in little gap. Now it blows fuse moving the handlebars to the right so take apart again and adjust wires. Now it blows light fuse when I pull the brake lever, so take apart again and move wires, etc. Now I give up and go by Indy and put a fuse in and it doesn't blow fuse pulling brake lever so maybe I got it, wrong, fuse blows sometime on ride home. Next day I take switch housing apart again and file goove a little wider where they come up around bar but doesn't help. Finally move on to taking off the fairing can't spot any bare wires but wrap some tape on the turn signal wires, go for test and ok, put fairing on and blows fuse as soon as hit bump. Take fairing off again and test wires and connections where they attach to the main harness at the speaker brackets and all is good. Go for a test ride w/o fairing and ok but with fairing on blows fuse. I thought it might be somehow related to headlight since I cracked the plastic housing around the connection so I tapped that up and had same results. I finally spot that the garage door opener module had slid up inside the speaker bracket so I put it back on the stickem tape and walla, I have running lights. It was either the module or the turn signal connection. So far so good so I hope I got it.

Old 10-19-2010 | 02:20 PM
Aleslinger
Tourer

Now I know why my local HD shop rate is $80.00 and hour.

I hope you got it too.

Old 10-19-2010 | 02:56 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Aleslinger

I hope you got it too.
Ah but look how much he has learned through that experience. All it cost him was a few fuses and some time. But I do agree with you the dealer charges a lot for a reason.

Thank gawd I learned how track that stuff on jets/bomb & missile racks.

Old 10-19-2010 | 09:19 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

Thank you for posting. Stuff like this is frustrating and when some one finds what the problem is and lets us know what they found out is priceless.......

Trucky911

Old 10-20-2010 | 09:38 AM
gmc
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Aleslinger

I hope you got it too.
Yeah I would have gladly paid $80 but how do you know how long they are going to take. I actually redid the wire leading to the garage door module, which I had wired into my front fender trim light, but didn't notice that module had moved up under the speaker bracket til later. Do one thing and it seems fine until hit a bump. That means pull fairing, take a stab, put everything back together, take test ride, pull fairing etc. One Indy didn't have time on Sat. and another said I'd probable have to leave it. Don't really want to pay $80 to have someone pull fairing off or switch housing apart. Some of them probable could isolate which wires to look sooner than I did but who knows.

Old 10-20-2010 | 12:28 PM
patsfan
Road Captain

Wow, just reading that tired me out, gotta go lay down.

Fingers crossed for ya!

Old 10-20-2010 | 12:36 PM
hucks 08
Road Captain

you have got to have a wire piched .did you check your wires down by the brake switch

Old 10-20-2010 | 12:44 PM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by patsfan
Wow, just reading that tired me out, gotta go lay down.

Fingers crossed for ya!
me too!!!