Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those whom have SHIPPED bikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 08:27 AM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default For those whom have SHIPPED bikes

Good day.

For those whom have shipped bikes by carrier; "Do you have to do anything in particular to the bike prior to them being loaded by the carrier?"
In particular; I'm thinking about draining any of the fluids etc?
Should the bike be covered during shipment or is this part of the carrier's responsibility?

Thanks for the advice.......

Ride In Peace

Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 AM
kamut
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think those policies vary by carrier. A year ago I was satisfied with haulbikes.com
They did not ask for the drainage of any fluids. They let us put on the detachable windshield, and anything else we could get on the bike to save on having to ship that stuff separately. We did not have to cover it or anything. We just handed them the bike. They had a double decker trailer that just held bikes in individual 'stalls'.

A couple of people involved in the company, the owner and a driver, were Harley riders.

I think some carriers might ask you to drain gas, but probably not oil.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:19 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

haulbikes you don't have to do nuthen and they are great, but they take along time to reach the destination
allied shipping only asks you to have less then a half tank of gas and are way quicker, I have used both with no problems at all.

Last edited by leohd; 10-19-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 AM
MareRider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Some friends of ours rode Route 66 beginning to end. In CA they drove up into shipping crates, strapped their bikes down & flew back home. Bikes were delivered to Chicago (Atlas Van Lines I think...). Had to get to Chicago to get the bikes & rode them home (central Indiana).

Old 10-19-2010, 10:43 AM
lowflyer
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Sold one a couple years ago and the buyer had the truck sent and I helped the driver roll it up into the 53ft. trailer. That`s all there is to it.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:43 AM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have sent/received bikes on ForwardAir. They have distribution centers all over.
They provide individual metal containers.
You are supposed to drain the gas bot I always just take bikes in very low on fuel and they dont even check.
You are responsible for conatiner locks and tie downs.
Rates are good. They are very easy to deal with.

http://forwardair.com/

Click on motorcycle shipping and choose your container size.
Hope this helps.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:56 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Most carriers require the gas to be drained. I used the HOG shipper; I think it was Federal?? It was shipped on a pallet in an enclosed truck.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Elite HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 58 Posts

I used Haul Bikes - way slower than quoted - too much business ... but no need to drain anything, if it rolls ... it 's ready to ship ...

Old 10-19-2010, 05:30 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

In 2007 I had my bike shipped from the dealer in Halifax NS to the dealer in Calgary Alberta.The dealer here put it on a Harley shipping pallet and the Alberta dealer uncrated it.We didn't have to drain any fluids but I was without a ride for 3 weeks in july,that is the prime riding season here.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:43 PM
2D3K1H1B1HIM
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tell everyone Haulbikes will get it there but you will be at their mercy as they have changed since I drove for them.No need to remove any fluids....GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING>>>>Document ,Document,Document.....Yea all the drivers were riders,and we try to do it right....they are very busy but that's all they haul....bikes/atv/watercraft......ect

Quick Reply: For those whom have SHIPPED bikes