Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AAA/RV Not So Good

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 12:43 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: AAA/RV Not So Good

Of course I would!! but what may I ask could I do to help? You can't just plug and play, I would hold his hand while he weeped at his future hours of frustration as his beloved hog gets hauled somewhere to be dismantled and repaired, spokes have no place on a large touring motorcycle, not only are they antquated and not flat fix friendly, they are not reliable and have been known to break spokes and become untrue and dangerous. As for this being a trailer thread, if you have spokes it would be good idea to be followed by your wife in a truck with one in case you run out of air
ORIGINAL: Branded

Dave
You mean you wouldnt stop and help a brother out just because he had spokes?

Old 09-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: gunrunner

As for this being a trailer thread, if you have spokes it would be good idea to be followed by your wife in a truck with one in case you run out of air
[

Gunrunner, I just don't worry about things that much my friend. Spokes have been around longer than motorcycles and as far as their being antequated, you are right of coarse. But then again there are plenty of knowlegeable riders our there who would say the same about Harley Davidson in general. Since any number of mechanical problems could leave us stranded, calling for a tow is something all of us will have to do sooner or later. Everybody has a story we could all learn something from. Thus I reiterate my point. This is a towing thread.
Oh, one thing I must say in defense of AAA. They did inform me that they will reimburse me for any towing I am forced to pay for.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:05 PM
orcas tow
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeepster, I made some calls out of curiosity to see what the average rates are across the country, seems like between $16 - $30 hook with around $1.25 to $2.00 per mile with at least 5 free miles inroute & 5 free miles loaded is about the norm.

I know of a lot of tow companies that put everything into AAA including their financing, they cut corners & can't pay for quality drivers due to the low rates so the damage claims start adding up, their trucks get run into the ground & are out of bussiness a few years later due to lots of volume but no profit. Problem is theres always another startup company that see's big profits from AAA & the process starts all over again.

If your local facility is paying $50 hook $ $2.50 per mile empty or loaded then your area is paying more than most, good for you for bringing the rates up to a point where the tow companies are actually able to make a living, hopefully more AAA facility's will follow your lead.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

The tow company that took my bike from my house to my local Harley dealer charged $75 hook up and $4.50 per mile. This guy did a great job too. Owns three bikes himself and knows how to treat bikes and customers. I called AAA member services for my area and they told me to send them the orginal reciept (I kept a copy of course) with a brief letter from me explaining the circumstances for the tow and they will reimburse me for the full cost. Part of the AAA Plus/RV coverage. This makes me feel better about AAA already. However, I am still going to get my HOG RoadAmerica upgraded as well. I'm still convinced that the quality of either service will vary depending on where I am when I need them.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mac57Called HOG roadside asistance and had a flatbed there in less than one hour. The driver was a rider himself and got us home in good shape. Thank you RoadAmerica!
Glad your experience was good with RoadAmerica. When I had wreck at 1 a.m. on way home from work in Little Five Points area of Atlanta, GA, called HOG roadside assistance.

Here was option given to me: They would send someone out but it would be $100 cash and I would get reimbursed.

Sorry, but where I was at, if I had walked across street to the ATM and withdrew $100, odds were the local crackheads in area would kill me before I could get back to bike.

I beat dent out, had wife follow me with her bright lights on(because I had no lights) and limped the 13 miles home. Once home, I got another call on cell phone from them and they said they could have someone at wreck site in 3 - 4 hrs. I told them in 3 - 4 hours, I could have pushed the damn thing almost home but I had been able to ride it home.

Their response then was "Oh, so do you want to cancel the wrecker?"

When I took it to dealer to have repair work done, mentioned this to staff and they said one of their workers had similar problem when he was broke down in North Bumphuck, GA the previous Sunday afternoon. Sat there for 4 hours before a friend could get up there with a trailer.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:29 PM
doctorharrison
Tourer
Default AAA/RV Not So Good - That's an understatement

Just left my local AAA office - found out that AAA "does not tow motorcycles in Massachusetts". How's that for a kettle of cr@p?

Great for autos - nil for your scooter!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:43 PM
AZ RKC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AAA/RV Not So Good - That's an understatement

I have used AAA RV twice. Once in CA when the bike would not start, and once in AZ for the boat trailer blow out. Both times I was very glad to have AAA. They were good people.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:07 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

Another good thing about gps, can find an indy as well. one local place iveused, charged 42 w/in 50 miles and local Hd charges 36 first 10 miles. I have AAA but not rv. If I saved my reciept in the event of a tow would AAAand the 7 yr tire option both re-inburse me

btw love spokes and a lot of other things on a harley could leave you stranded,if i becomes a problem can always get cheap stockers on ebay

Old 01-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Bluerose

I used AAA a couple of weekends ago. Had a flatbed there in less then a 1/2 hour for a 50 mile tow. Guy tied Hubby's bike down ( he had a flat)...and asked hubby to verify he was happy with the tie down before moving. You hear good and bad about most assistance programs.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:37 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I have had to use AAA RV for my bike twice and was very pleased with the service I got being 700 miles from home. Probably has to do with the area you are in. I would highly recommend them. I also have used them for my vehicles and have nothing but good to say about them.

Quick Reply: AAA/RV Not So Good