Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander V durability?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Doesn't Jamie at Fuel Moto sell several different brand of units? From talking with him on what I did. I would trust what he tells you. I went with the PC V but see what he says about the other units he sells.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:26 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
I recently talked with the service manager where I bought my 2010 RK. I asked him about the SERT and did it require a dyno? He said no. You plug it in to a laptop and take it out for a ride. It builds a map. I asked another and he told me the same thing. Not that I'm planning to buy a Tuner.
This is false, as neither SERT nor any other flash-based tuner is an auto-tune device. There is no feedback with the stock narrow-band O2 sensors beyond about 50% throttle. If there is no feedback there is no means to auto-tune.

Last edited by iclick; 10-18-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
This is false, as neither SERT nor any other flash-based tuner is an auto-tune device. There is no feedback with the stock narrow-band O2 sensors beyond about 50% throttle. If there is no feedback there is no means to auto-tune.
I'm just telling you what the service guy at the Dealer told me iclick. His name is Marty Ferro. He works at Mtn CrK HD in Dalton Ga. His number is 706-370-7433 Call him up and tell him he's a liar. He was telling me about how the new tuners work. He said you don't have to dyno if you don't want to. Can't remember the other guy's name, but he's at Smky Mtn HD in Maryville, Tn.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:13 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

makes me wonder.... there has been alot of used pc-5's for sale in the forum classifieds

Old 10-19-2010, 07:05 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a PCV on my '09 for 2 summers. Very hot and humid here in Western Pa (record days for high 90's this past summer) no problems at all.....

Old 10-19-2010, 07:45 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Had a PCIII on my 2002 Fatboy. Just traded it in. 8yrs and still running fine.
I guess that would be considered reliable.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:58 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
I'm just telling you what the service guy at the Dealer told me iclick. His name is Marty Ferro. He works at Mtn CrK HD in Dalton Ga. His number is 706-370-7433 Call him up and tell him he's a liar. He was telling me about how the new tuners work. He said you don't have to dyno if you don't want to. Can't remember the other guy's name, but he's at Smky Mtn HD in Maryville, Tn.
I'd look for new dealer's!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:39 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
I'd look for new dealer's!
I don't think it's the Dealer's. I think it's the BS you read from some on this forum. I just spoke with Marty at Mtn Crk.HD. He said call him up, he'll explain the SmartTune feature in their new tuner's. You don't need to Dyno. He'll also tell you the number of bikes that come in with Power Commanders that are causing problems.

Here's a link if anybody's interested...http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=49553.0

Last edited by Ronp42; 10-19-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:11 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Truthfully you do not need a dyno to tune any product, however the dyno allows you to tune under controlled conditions far more accurately and safely, an easy example is how are you going to tune any of the upper RPM's and full throttle areas without a dyno and the proper datalogging equipment? We have tuned thousands of bikes here on our dyno with most every tuning product on the market, and referring to SE Pro Super Tuner I actually tune with it quite a bit. Smart Tune is not an auto tune, rather a utility that datalogs to the VCI with pre determined parameters and lets you accept the data you gather to build a portion of the VE table in your calibration. The VE tables are based on RPM vs MAP and Smart Tune does not have the ability to tune above approx 60-70% throttle at any RPM and it does not adjust igntion or any of the other tables. This utility this will allow you to tune the closed loop area of the VE tabels which is from idle to about 60-70% throttle with or without a dyno, however you are still working within the limitations of the factory NB O2 sensors which can only sample at an AFR of 14.6:1 (+/- .5) Smart Tune is a very handy utility for getting the tune started, however it will only help populate a portion of the calibration.

As far a the Power Commander durability, we have staked our reputation on Dynojet products for many years and have offered a 2 year warranty on the Power Commander with issues few and far between. Fuel Moto fully stands behind Dynojet in offering an extremely reliable, high quality product

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 10-19-2010, 01:37 PM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
my indy explained it to me as you put a tune in close to your setup , and switch to auto tune mode, ride fore a bit while data log and alter the existing tune with updated info from datalogging, and reflash.

Quick Reply: Power Commander V durability?