Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander V durability?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:29 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You always hear about the problems, but you don't hear about the hundreds with no problem for every one that does. I have the Power Commander V on my bike and had no problem with it. I find it easy to use, update, and to alternate between my 2 tunes on it with the switching capability.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:39 PM
dlrshort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My tuner who was willing to use Harley's tuner or PCV was very biased toward the power commander.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:40 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Freebee
I've considered one for my 09. There is a member here that occasionaly posts pictures of power commanders in the trash can, at his shop. Needless to say he is not a fan !!

The SERT / SEPT whatever they call it this week is too rich for my wallet by the time you pay for some dyno time.
I recently talked with the service manager where I bought my 2010 RK. I asked him about the SERT and did it require a dyno? He said no. You plug it in to a laptop and take it out for a ride. It builds a map. I asked another and he told me the same thing. Not that I'm planning to buy a Tuner.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:43 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

any tuner can give u "issuies"like some zit faced kid at the dealer that thinks hes a tuner.pc can and do fail fuelmoto gives a 2 year warrentie, knows what there doing when it comes to mapping,u cant say that about the dealer. if u have an electrical issue it takes about 5 minutes to remove a pc and go back to stock.so far every electrical issuie ive had was harley and not pc.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:45 PM
OklahomaSam
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've owned two PC's, a three and a five.

The three ran for four years in Southwestern Oklahoma where temps regularly get into the triple digits in the summer and it was still working when I traded the bike in last year.

The five was installed early this year on my '09 Ultra and it's run without a single hiccup in the +100 temps this summer.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:50 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in the desert southwest were outside air temps average 110+ in the summer and I never had a problem with my Fuel Moto PC-V, nor do I know anyone that has.

Jim

Old 10-18-2010, 07:54 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

wonder how mant of those pc"s on the dealers shelf were actually bad?maybe hes selling a few to many serts(at a crazy mark up)

Old 10-18-2010, 08:31 PM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
wonder how mant of those pc"s on the dealers shelf were actually bad?maybe hes selling a few to many serts(at a crazy mark up)
Good point. I wonder how many actually were working and they just had bad maps in them making the bike run bad.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:53 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

or it wasnt even related to the tune ,maybe a bad sensor,the service manager replaces sensor then runs around saying bad pc told ya soo. now buy one of my overpriced serts.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:17 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tully_mars
I live in southern AL where it gets hot down here, and many people I have talked to about this say the PC's don't hold up in the heat. I read about so much success on here I want to get one, but I don't want to invest in something that isn't going to last.
In many years of reading PC threads on forums I've never heard any reports of PC's failing in hot environments. I live in S. LA, which isn't any cooler in summer than S. AL, and I had a PCIII on my SG for 2½ years and a PCV for another 1½ years without any problems. They are commercial-grade solid-state devices and should hold up as well as the ECM on your bike or car.

My dealer has a drawer full of PCs he has pulled off of bikes that don't work and replaced with SE Tuners.
I wonder about this claim. Does your dealer tell you this because he wants to sell you a SEST at a much higher markup? The techs at my dealership actually prefer PC's, and I'm told they have had very few failures. Fuel Moto claims their return rate is <1%, and most of those returned were in fact not defective. Give them a call, as they are straightforward and honest, as has been testified here hundreds of times in the past.

Quick Reply: Power Commander V durability?