Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing Headlight - my opinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Kumite
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by woodeyewetzel
I agree 100%. If you are scared to ride get off and walk.
There is a difference between intelligence and fear. For me, I do all things possible to level the odds. If you do not.... it is your choice but may not be the most intelligent decision.

To each his own

R. Todd

Old 10-18-2010, 07:48 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

might as well get air bags they work and a roll cage they work and a speed limiter they work,2 more wheels that is safer.wait till ya get brake checked by a rager who doesnt like your headlight.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Kumite
Tourer

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
.wait till ya get brake checked by a rager who doesnt like your headlight.
Thanks for the tip... sounds good I will wait.

R. Todd

Old 10-18-2010, 08:08 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by pargenz
They work by quickly alternating between high and low beams - they don't flash the headlamp on/off... so they shouldn't be interpreted as permission to violate one's right of way.
Actually, the Kisan modulator uses a 20-100% modulation of the high-beam circuit and never uses low-beam at all. I don't know about other brands.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:20 PM
driv3rx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the thing it seems to me is "target fixation" I had a kawasaki concours that had the flashing brake light that spins around on taillight.nearly got rearended several times,didn't understand why untill I came up behind a delivery truck in my pickup,he had similar lights for brake lights that flashed for braking but never went to solid red,I almost hit him watching and waiting to see them go solid red.I fear that a flashing headlight could lure oncoming drivers into my lane for the same reason.btw after my near miss i went to auto zone and 2 1157 's later those flashers weent in the trash.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:21 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Kumite
There is a difference between intelligence and fear. For me, I do all things possible to level the odds. If you do not.... it is your choice but may not be the most intelligent decision.

To each his own
Good answer. I'm amazed at the comments suggesting a relationship between modulator use and unfounded fear or a lack of riding ability. These assertions aren't rooted in reality, as most of us know, and raising your visibility to oncoming traffic and abating your chances of being involved in an accident is not a sign of stupidity nor a low level of riding ability. I consider myself to be a competent rider and I've learned quite a bit after 44 years of riding, but I also know that bikers do get into accidents and some are killed because drivers "didn't see them." Being a defensive driver may be deemed an exhibition of fear too, but I'll employ any means necessary to ride safely, and that includes riding with modulating lights front and rear.

Last edited by iclick; 10-19-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:26 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,835 Likes on 22,753 Posts

Good answer iclick..
I can't really believe there are those that have issue with them, but ya know how folks are? They have issue with everything. I also have a BAL on for a tail light as I have been rear ended before and it is not any fun..
and I sure wouldn't want to be head on-ed either..

Old 10-18-2010, 08:27 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by driv3rx
the thing it seems to me is "target fixation" I had a kawasaki concours that had the flashing brake light that spins around on taillight.nearly got rearended several times,didn't understand why untill I came up behind a delivery truck in my pickup,he had similar lights for brake lights that flashed for braking but never went to solid red,I almost hit him watching and waiting to see them go solid red.I fear that a flashing headlight could lure oncoming drivers into my lane for the same reason.btw after my near miss i went to auto zone and 2 1157 's later those flashers weent in the trash.
Most of the modulating brake lights blink for a second or two to get the attention of those behind you, then shine constantly at full brightness until the next application of the brakes.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:30 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master

Some of you need all the help you can get! whatever makes you happy I guess. Earlier there was a thread about a guy laying his bike down after some "cager" ran him off the road, his description of the accident sounded like it was completely his fault but he's sure it was the "cager"

Old 10-18-2010, 08:50 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too wonder what percentage of those that dislike modulators are running loud pipes. For the record, I have and use a modulator. I like a good low rumble but from the pipes but dislike ones that you can here from 1/4 mile away. The great thing is we can all agree to disagree on such things.

Quick Reply: Flashing Headlight - my opinion