Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing Headlight - my opinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Ed Y
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard of some instances where someone interprets the flashing light as a signal to "come on" resulting in T-bone style crashes. Have no idea about the frequency of these encounters though.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:38 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gwvulcan
The flashing headlight modulators are like the short bus in school. There is a reason for it and only a special group of people will be allowed on it. I just assume everyone with a flashing headlight has ridden the short bus a little to long. Maybe if they had better riding skills they wouldn't need everyone else on this planet to look out for them.
What an ars you are. Get over yourself. Learned all those fantastic riding skills from the awesome Vulcan (not). Takes someone really special to imply that a person with a modulating headlight has a deficiancy in riding skills.

Makes me wonder about the mentality level of someone that puts their old Kawasaki on a forum devoted to Harley Davidson

Old 10-18-2010, 06:41 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,128 Likes on 11,637 Posts

Originally Posted by gwvulcan
The flashing headlight modulators are like the short bus in school. There is a reason for it and only a special group of people will be allowed on it. I just assume everyone with a flashing headlight has ridden the short bus a little to long. Maybe if they had better riding skills they wouldn't need everyone else on this planet to look out for them.
Not a good analogy.....has nothing to do with riding skills !!!!

I'll be surprised if you aren't tarred and feathered for a comment like that

Old 10-18-2010, 06:46 PM
ronljn
Novice

gwvulcan
That was a very rude comment. Exactly what driving skills are needed to prevent some caged moron who is texting, talking on the phone or just plain TOO STUPID to see a motorcycle entering an intersection at a right angle to them, before they pull out in from of you ?? Or turning right in front of you as you enter the intersection?
Yes, defensive driving works great if their is time to react. Whoever being seen is still the best defense.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:51 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have a modulator, nor do I plan on getting one. But, I see them every day and have to say they do get the rider noticed. I can't say that they bother me at all.
There's already too many laws... see no need for these to be illegal.

They work by quickly alternating between high and low beams - they don't flash the headlamp on/off... so they shouldn't be interpreted as permission to violate one's right of way.

Last edited by pargenz; 10-18-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

I imagine all those that dislike headlight modulators have never been involved in an accident with a nit-wit cager that claimed they didn't see them.
Since you were very aware of it's presence I would have to say it's done it's job. They can save a life! You can never be too safe.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:26 PM
Kumite
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my wife and I both have modulators. The long and short of it is.... they work. The incidence of people pulling in front of us has gone to zero.

I also wonder how many of the people that dis this legal option because it is "anoying" are running after market pipes which are illegal. I suspect some high degree of inconsistancy here.

R. Todd

Old 10-18-2010, 07:32 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by Kumite
my wife and I both have modulators. The long and short of it is.... they work. The incidence of people pulling in front of us has gone to zero.

I also wonder how many of the people that dis this legal option because it is "anoying" are running after market pipes which are illegal. I suspect some high degree of inconsistancy here.

R. Todd
I stand by my opinion and others have theirs... bringing pipes into it is rediculous! Funny though when people hear you coming they tend not to pull into you... stock pipes suck since ya brought it up!

Old 10-18-2010, 07:34 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

when there on the cell talkin and texting they hit fire trucks,so i doubt your flashing headlight will do much,if they dont see 800#of bike dont assume they"ll see a colorless light pulsing.your riding skills should include tyring to see them coming.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:39 PM
woodeyewetzel
Tourer

I agree 100%. If you are scared to ride get off and walk.

Quick Reply: Flashing Headlight - my opinion