Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing Headlight - my opinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I really don't like them either, and do wish they were illegal, for the same reasons everyone else here says! I don't care who you are, your just not that special.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Cheeze
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say to each his own. However the one thing i always take from headlight modulator conversation is that like them or not just about everyone agrees they get peoples attention. So ask yourself this question. If you knew that a modulator increased your visibility by lets say 10% to 15%. And, you ride most of the time with a loved one on the back of your bike. Son...Daughter...wife...you get the idea. Would you still not use one knowing you are increasing your odds of being seen by a cager?

Just askin?

Old 10-18-2010, 05:29 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

better idea is to just drive with your brights on during the day, people will see you... the modulators are annoying, and if you get pulled over for it, go ahead and show the officer the law, I bet that wont stop him from writing you, and while you spend time off of work to fight it, the officer is getting paid time and a half to go to court, so really yeah you might get off the ticket but you still lose!

Old 10-18-2010, 05:38 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

They aren't just for Goldwings, they're for RUBs too. "HEY LOOK AT ME, I'M RIDING A MOTORCYLE, AIN'T I COOL?", well isn't that special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwqnqL3Hbg

I guess you can tell I don't care for them myself.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:40 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by goose136
i thought headlight flashers was for the goldwing crew!!!
That's what you get for thinking when your not qualified. LMAO. JK.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:43 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrown2
I would love to have had one when the lady with the motor home towing an SUV turned left in front of us and stopped. It has taken eight months to be able to get back on the bike. I will be getting one for the limited very soon. Anything I can do to be seen, I don't care who I **** off.
Yep, couldn't have said it better myself. All you guys who find it "annoying," just try hard to get over the terrible pain these devices must be inflicting on you. Modulators are legal in all 50 states and increase visibility to the front, and if that imposes emotional stress on somebody from time to time so be it. I've had one on my bike since 2004, have ridden through dozens of states, and to date have had nobody give one indication they are irritated. I also have never been ticketed or even stopped and haven't had even one cager pull out in front of me in that time frame. (Note: I of course don't take anything for granted and am always as prepared I can possibly be for careless drivers.)

I have had three elderly drivers pull over apparently thinking I was a LEO, two well-intentioned people told me I had a "short in my headlight," and one metric biker I once took a trip with said he had to ride behind me because the pulsating light "hypnotized him" --but that's the extent of any negative experiences I've had. That said, I usually ride on low-beams while in a group, but I consider modulators to be essential equipment on any motorcycle that's ridden on public roads, as their virtues far out-weight any minor vices they may have. Besides, if they save one life they are worth tolerating and keeping legal.

Last edited by iclick; 10-18-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:22 PM
gwvulcan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The flashing headlight modulators are like the short bus in school. There is a reason for it and only a special group of people will be allowed on it. I just assume everyone with a flashing headlight has ridden the short bus a little to long. Maybe if they had better riding skills they wouldn't need everyone else on this planet to look out for them.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:27 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by gwvulcan
The flashing headlight modulators are like the short bus in school. There is a reason for it and only a special group of people will be allowed on it. I just assume everyone with a flashing headlight has ridden the short bus a little to long. Maybe if they had better riding skills they wouldn't need everyone else on this planet to look out for them.
Wow..... wow!!

Old 10-18-2010, 06:32 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 72,354 Likes on 21,852 Posts

Hey ya know what? If it keeps you alive,(as in being noticed) then it's done it's job as far as I'm concerned.. Hate it all you want...

I don't have one on mine, but I have considered it... as many times folks say
" I just didn't see him."
Drivers are far too distracted these days and if you have to be annoying to be seen, well, that's the way it is...

Old 10-18-2010, 06:34 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One word, annoying.

Quick Reply: Flashing Headlight - my opinion