Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing Headlight - my opinion

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:25 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I have an '87 FXR too and get people (other riders) telling me my headlight or taillight is burned out during the day. Well, I can turn them off or on with the key and never turn them on during the day....fwiw.

Government regs required headlights and tail lights to be on for bikes following a certain year...no free guesses as to why. I don't have a mod on any of my bikes, but do know what they are; as me being an avid rider (and driver, but that is another story). I admit that the world is full of idiots, both behind the wheel and walking on the curb, standing in line at Wal Mart, we get the idea. Given that, some to most may not realize what the headlight mod is...

The rest is, well I don't really care if someone has one or not; yep have had a dude following me before on his 'Wing with his mod running...didn't anger me or make me feel like drowning kittens, but alas the world will keep on turning

Old 10-20-2010, 05:32 PM
flyer91
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have modulators, and although I agree it's a personal choice that some would prefer to pass on, I'm also pleasantly surprised to see that it pisses off the over-opinionated, "I don't like it so everyone that does is an auto-moron" A-holes, like it evidently does.
Wow ...... two 'great' functions for the price of one!!

Old 10-20-2010, 06:40 PM
Route66rider
Tourer

Originally Posted by danmo
Just wondering, what's it like driving at night with one of those lights? I would think at night it would make it hard to see.
If the modulating (they are not "flashing") lights are installed correctly they have a sensor that disable operation of a night. In most states that restriction is required. The ones I have looked at are designed to operate only when the high beam is on. Correctly (and legally) installed, they should not operate either on low beam or at night.
That said, I do not have one, but likely will at some point just because they eliminate some percentage of the danger. Same for the BAL taillight. Same for ABS. Same for a DOT/Snell helmet. Same for a good set of riding gloves. All of these help keep us safe.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:25 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I am shocked at the bullying type responses here. When I responded before I was stating I fear they have the effect of causing some people to lock on to as in mesmorize to the point of steering right into the light (and the bike/rider). This was also mention by others as in they have friends that will not ride in front of the modulating lights. This was taken as I wanted to take someones right to modulate away!
So I guess you got my blessing to flash away but I won't.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:08 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
Yep, couldn't have said it better myself. All you guys who find it "annoying," just try hard to get over the terrible pain these devices must be inflicting on you. Modulators are legal in all 50 states and increase visibility to the front, and if that imposes emotional stress on somebody from time to time so be it. I've had one on my bike since 2004, have ridden through dozens of states, and to date have had nobody give one indication they are irritated. I also have never been ticketed or even stopped and haven't had even one cager pull out in front of me in that time frame. (Note: I of course don't take anything for granted and am always as prepared I can possibly be for careless drivers.)

I have had three elderly drivers pull over apparently thinking I was a LEO, two well-intentioned people told me I had a "short in my headlight," and one metric biker I once took a trip with said he had to ride behind me because the pulsating light "hypnotized him" --but that's the extent of any negative experiences I've had. That said, I usually ride on low-beams while in a group, but I consider modulators to be essential equipment on any motorcycle that's ridden on public roads, as their virtues far out-weight any minor vices they may have. Besides, if they save one life they are worth tolerating and keeping legal.
Well said. I've had one since 2004 also and have had almost identical experiences to yours. I have been stopped by the cops (not for my modulator) and not once did they mention the modualator as a problem. And, they didn't find some other reason to give me a ticket. In fact, they have let me off every time.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:22 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flyer91
I have modulators, and although I agree it's a personal choice that some would prefer to pass on, I'm also pleasantly surprised to see that it pisses off the over-opinionated, "I don't like it so everyone that does is an auto-moron" A-holes, like it evidently does.
Wow ...... two 'great' functions for the price of one!!
Not surprising. You are not alone. There are many in this world who love to annoy others. The blinky light is a good tool for that.
Screw everybody else, you are the only one that counts.

"I don't like it so everyone that does is an auto-moron" A-holes
You like it, so everyone else that don't is an auto-moron A-hole?

That pretty much sums up messageboards in general. Bwahahaha!
Let's talk about oil. Anybody? He he!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:26 AM
flyer91
Tourer

Me thinks you need to learn what the use of quotations signify ...........
And instead of sniveling here about the lights that evidently cause you to go all 'berzerko', go out and start a petition to have the laws changed in your favor.
Until then, just pull over, cover your tear filled eyes, get over it, and let me by ........... Bawawawawa ........

Last edited by flyer91; 10-21-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flyer91
Me thinks you need to learn what the use of quotations signify ...........
And instead of sniveling here about the lights that evidently cause you to go all 'berzerko', go out and start a petition to have the laws changed in your favor.
Until then, just pull over, cover your tear filled eyes, get over it, and let me by ........... Bawawawawa ........
I was just agreeing with the op on his thread that was on this point of view of this subject matter.

We complained about the blinky-lights, and you complained about our complaints.

I guess that we are both "snivelers". Waaaa! Want to share my tissue? He he!

Old 10-21-2010, 07:19 PM
flyer91
Tourer

Wow, a Geddy Lee "if you decide not to choose, you still have made a choice" comment.

Yes "Geddy" we understand .........

Last edited by flyer91; 10-21-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:35 PM
socalmoe
Tourer

I have one on my three bikes, I don't care if YOU like it. I am willing to bet that those who are against it and or say that they are RUBS, GW's, etc, are the same ******** who ride with the minimum of safety gear and believe that "loud pipes save lives". Any safety related item for a bike should be considered.
Nothing says "look at me" more than loud pipes and sleeveless t-shirts and a coconut shell for a helmet.

Quick Reply: Flashing Headlight - my opinion