Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield mounted Boom Audio Speakers for Road King

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011 | 08:18 PM
Sandtrap
6th Gear

What is the name of the App that automatically adjust the volume?

Old 06-22-2011 | 03:14 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Default Ipod App

Originally Posted by Sandtrap
What is the name of the App that automatically adjust the volume?
Its called Adaptunes.

Old 07-11-2011 | 08:24 PM
Cmat
Novice

Don't mean to hijack the thread with a problem but I am stumped. I purchased a set of the Boom Audio handle bar speakers in January. Installed them on my Dyna. Love the speakers great sound look cool. I sold the Dyna and got a 2011 Road King Classic and installed the speakers on the new bike. Installed exactly the same way I did on the Dyna however it is not working. I have power all the way into the hand control, checked with a 12 volt tester. However the light on the hand set does not come on and I have no sound. Does anyone know if I can hard wire the amp directly to the auxiliary switch and bypass the handset? Or, can I purchase the wiring and hand set separately?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-12-2011 | 02:19 AM
CrazyBoom
Cruiser
Default a bit more information...

not sure if you can buy the wiring and handset seperately, but thought i'd ask a few "clarification" questions...
did you follow the instructions for wiring a flhrc? I believe there were slight differences between the dyna and rkc. i experienced a similar problem when changing my handlebars and after testing for power and becoming extremely frustrated discovered my grounding wire had a kink didn't ground properly. i mention this because the light wouldn't illuminate until it was properly grounded. i believe the best place to ground the unit is one of the two grounding post forward of the battery, which are easily accessed by removing the battery (i won't get into how i know this...). if you need another copy of the wiring instructions i'm more than happy to email them when i get home. hope this helps

Old 07-12-2011 | 08:51 AM
Cmat
Novice

Thanks for the reply CrazyBoom. I have wired the system in the following way. Red lead with gromet to positive post on the battery. Black, ground wire, to system ground in front of the battery. Orange/white lead spliced into orange/white wire under the seat leading to the rear lighting harness. I checked the instructions again multiple times and the only bike with a different schematic was for Softails. I have checked and even replaced the inline fuse on the power lead. I have checked the power with a 12 volt tester and I have power at the switch and all along the wiring from the battery to the amp to the switch. I wonder if it is possible that I do have a broken ground somewhere in the set up.

Old 07-13-2011 | 03:06 PM
Tele00
Tourer

I just installed the Windshield version on my 2011 Road King this morning and I really like it a lot .. My bike is a 96 motor and is completely stock except for a pair of 3.5" Rinehart slipons. To answer all the " Can you hear it " questions ... Yes ..I can hear it fine except for when I am hard on the acceleration . I took it up route 3 North for about 10 miles ( 65-75 mph) and once you are at cruising speed and at steady throtle it sounded good to my ears ..Keep in mind .. Lookswise I wouldnt have put ANY OTHER configuration of amp/speakers on this bike I think this unit looks so good you'd be hard pressed to tell that its an add on .Even after searching endlessly for opinions on this system I still felt a bit worried about dropping 400 bucks on this system but I am completely satisfied with the results . To do a neat install you have to Remove the Headlamp assy split the headlamp bezels and nacelle because the hand control is hardwired to the amp and power harness ..and I did remove the tank and open the wiring channel under the tank to bring the wires rearward below the seat . But on my model everything went smoothly. The kit comes with a pigtail for the red power wire and an inline fuse and heatshrink connectors ....all these when spliced together simply plug into the factory plug ( gray plug red wire ) under the seat . I spliced ( soldered and heatshrink tubing ) the orange and white wire to the orange and white as it heads back in the rear lamps harness. and the black wire I wired directly to the negative battery terminal .

Today I was playing the tunes through my Droid X2 .( I have 1400 mp3s in my droid )....you want your mp3/audio player set to about 75% output to avoid clipping and then control the master volume from the hand control...On my Droid I found that if you go into the audio preferences " /Wired devices/Enable effects.Equalizer/AddBassPunch/ " it really sounds great ... and on an ipod you want to go into EQ and try several choices to fine tune the EQ ...but once you do you just set it and forget it ...

As all my friends have bought street glides and roadglides over the past year ..I just still love the Old School look and clean lines of a Roadking which is why I bought one .. I love the fact that when I remove the windshield the only thing left behind is the hand control on the bars , otherwise the bike looks totally stock ... when I'm riding without the windshield I'm completely happy just hearing the pipes ..But when I throw on the Windshield for long trips or just when I want to hear tunes ...this system fits the bill perfectly for me ...

Last edited by Tele00; 07-13-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2011 | 10:18 AM
joefriday
Advanced
Default Boom Audio handle bar speakers/Amp

Boom Audio handle bar speakers with amp, 76262-08 Chrome
My buddy installed these on his road king with windshield. They sound ok but, if you turn them up all the way, they sound like crap. They are ok for around town but, at 60/70 miles an hour your going to be wishin you spent that $400 on something else.
Lucky he picked them up here in town because, they are going back. Looking for something better....

Joe

Old 07-19-2011 | 10:01 PM
bzxgdk
Cruiser
Default Mine are 4-sale

I installed the Boom speakers on the handle bars of my '08 Road King Classic. Sounded fine sitting in my drive way and moving up to about 45 ... then became hard to hear. Maybe be Tru-Duals have something to do with it. Anyhow, I will sell them. Make an offer. I've sold before on here and have good reviews.

Old 08-04-2011 | 07:12 AM
TReaper
Cruiser

Originally Posted by D'Artagnan
This may be a silly question, but does the volume adjust up and down automatically depending on your speed like on the Street Glide or does the volume remain static?
My understanding is the volume is static from what others have wrote, but if you have an I-phone or I-touch you can download a App called Adaptunes. It is suppose to raise and lower your volume based on your speed of travel. Havent tried it yet as I am still in Iraq but this Sept. I should have review for you.

Old 08-04-2011 | 07:18 AM
Tele00
Tourer

The volume remains at the set volume and is only changed by the handlebar control or media player . But it adjusts quickly so simply tapping it once , twice , or whatever .. yields a reasonable amount of change as opposed to some devices that have to be held for a while to see any response .

Last edited by Tele00; 08-04-2011 at 07:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Windshield mounted Boom Audio Speakers for Road King