Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 or 07? I'm Back From Demo; More INFO

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 11:39 PM
Stash
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 or 07? I'm Back From Demo; More INFO

Open house, wanted to demo 07 Ultra, wouldn't let me; road a 07 street glide = no tranny problems, small whine in 5th, but much better than Ultra I road last week. Started to deal on a 07 Ultra. Came to a good price agreement, but I would't sign without riding it. They balked, didn't want me to put any miles on it, but finally let wife & I ride. Drove sweet. A ton of vibration at idle. More than 06. However, transmission was great!!!! Last weeks 07 Ultra (I'm traveling from one open house to another) I rode sounded horrible in 5th. This Ultra had a small whine, you knew you were in 5th, but much, much better. Not an issue on this bike. Problem: Hotter than a firecracker up my a$$. Cool day, 70 deg tops. I was sweating in my helmet and my butt was way too uncomfortable. The Ultra's hold a lot of heat.

NEED ADVICE: Dealers solution to clear up heat problem: Bassani true duals closed loop, HD HDM Race Tuner, HD HHM 1450 ST 1 EFI Kit; and I am thinking about the HD Fan Accessory kit. This stuff is all new to me. This is my first FI bike and I'm familer with V&H, Bubs, etc. but never heard of Bassani. I also am way past the loud pipe stage. I've had V&H, Roadhouse, all I want is a quiet nice rumble. Heck the stock pipe didn't sound bad to me. VETERAN HD RIDERS, tell me what you think of the above solution to solve the heat problem. A lot of bucks to cool it down, and hopefully rid some of the vibration, but if it works it's worth it (I guess).

Mechanic's advise to cool bike: a $50 set of Kury heat protecters that bolt under seat and protect you from the top of engine.

You advice means a ton to me. This forum has been very helpful and I'm grateful to all of you.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:53 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 06 or 07? I'm Back From Demo; More INFO

PCIII, duals & K&N filter.....TUNED. A great combo to getcha where ya need to be.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:34 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I would definitely go for the 07. Kuryakyn saddle shields will help with the heat. Bassani is a top of the line true dual exhaust system and though hot, not as bad as the factory crossover unit. If you dont mind the appearance of a 2 into 1 single side exhaust system, the vance and hines pro pipe is a good choice. Has almost no equal in performance and will also help with heat. But definitely go for the07 unless they give you a killer deal on the 06. Because of the new motor and 6 speed tranny the older models will be worth less than normally because of the upgrades. The evo motors lost value big time in 99 when the twin cam engine came out.There will always be heat. kuryakyn passenger adjustable pegs will also help the passenger on heat. The best thing I have found is a product called COOLTHIGHS. iT IS A LEATHER SADDLEBAG TYPE SHIELD THAT GOES OVER THE SEAT AND HANGS DOWN OVER THE ENGINE HEADS AND EXHAUST CROSSOVER PIPE. kIND OF AWKWARD BUT REALLY DOES WORK AND YOU JUST HOLD IT IN PLACE WITH YOUR BUTT AND LEGS. gO TO:www.coolthighs.com and check it out.Also, go to no more fried thighs. this is a leather heat shield that also seems to work well.

Old 09-17-2006, 12:53 AM
sligarn5
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a guy on ebay selling V&H True Duals for about $260.00 (headers only). If you like the sound of the stock mufflers you can take those off of your old pipes and put them on the new ones, shouldn't be a problem. You will need to do a download, PCIII, SERT or something to take care of the lean mix issue, but the True Duals will save you some green while giving performance and heat relief to an extent.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:57 PM
Stash
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please remember this is my first FI bike. I'm still trying to learn a bunch of stuff. Is the Race Tuner and ST I EFI kit the dealer is wanting to install the same as a PCIII ? Thanks!

Old 09-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It does basicaly the same thing, the PCIII is less money (not Harley made). You can install it your self if you can take off the seat and plug in some wires. If you order from fuelmotousa.com you can have them preinstal the software map for you bike.
It will take care of the running hot/lean condition.