Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Demo Ride & My Assessment: UC Limited, RGU and Trike

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Demo Ride & My Assessment: UC Limited, RGU and Trike

Outpost HD had a factory demo day and I was able to take three different bikes out for rides. Our goal was to ride the RGU but we also had time to take a spin on the Ultra Classic Limited and Street Glide Trike. I'll only offer comparisons between the two Touring bikes and not the Trike...but I will give my opinion on it though.

This was my first ride on a) the new (post 09) touring frame, b) a bat-winged bike, and c) a bike with the 103" CI motor. For comparison sake, I'm currently riding a 2002 RKC with stock 88"CI motor.

1. I found the ABS braking system to be SUPERIOR to anything I've ridden before. Very impressive and worth whatever they charge for it.

2. The majority of our ride was West-East/East-West and there was a North-South wind (10-15 mph) hitting me from each side as we rode. My impression was the UC Limited has less side buffeting than the RGU. IMO, the wind-over the windshield was equal.

3. The seat on the UC Limited pushed me uncomfortably close to the tank and fairing. The RGU's seat was better suited to my wife and I. In fact she liked the comfort of the RGU over the UC Limited.

4. Both windshields were eye-level and would have to be cut to see the road. I had to do this with my current bike when it was new too.

5. The 103" motor was great! Loved this part of the bike.

6. The suspension on both was SUPERIOR and well worth upgrading to a new bike just for it.

7. The bars on the UC Limited were more comfortable than those on the RGU. Those on the RGU would have to be switched to fit me.

8. Lower fairings: First time I've been a bike with them...and I liked them a lot!

Winner: I was biased towards the RG before I rode either. Dimensionally, the RG just felt like a bigger bike to me and though I'd be very happy with either it or the UC Limited, my choice is still the RG Unlimited.

Trike: We were curious about the SG Trike and took it out for a test ride

Conclusion: I was really happy when the ride was over and I could get off it!

Its ride was harsh and every bump on the road was transmitted to my lower back. For most of the ride I felt like I was just trying to hold onto it and not riding it. The steering will take a lot of getting used to. I found out there really is some comfort in 'leaning' into a curve rather than 'steering' into one. It's been a long time since I last rode a snowmobile, and this bike reminded me of that experience. Each rut made it feel like the trike was trying to move me off the seat. IMO, there may be just too much tire underneath that thing.

Take care, ride safe.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:34 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks, I've been considering the RGU and the UCL,

Last edited by nvsteve; 10-17-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

ttt-