Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need road (pavement) conditions for ride on Route 16 in VA & WV

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Need road (pavement) conditions for ride on Route 16 in VA & WV

Planning a ride that will take us "over the hills and through the woods" on Route 16 next week. Have heard this road referred to as the "Dragon's Back" and is rated an 8.7 on a 10 scale (Deals Gap is an 8.6) on www.motorcycleroads.com

We want to ride Route 16 beginning at the intersection of US 58 in Virginia and ending at the intersection I-79 in West Virginia.

Have any of you folks traveled this particular route lately? I am curious about the pavement conditions on Route 16 specifically. Is it a pothole filled pig path, or a decent and fairly good road?

Hopefully, the link below from Google Maps will display the route:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,11.590576&z=7

Thanks for any comments!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:19 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Rode the Va side about a month ago. Pavement was good, watch out for rocks and gravel in the lane on the Dragons Back. Did the WV side in late spring, some good and some a little ruff, but there has been a lot of road repair this summer. Would recommend riding on a Sunday to miss some of the coal truck traffic on the southern WV end and congestion in Beckley. Watch out for the Gauley Bridge LEO. You will only be a mile from the New River Gorge bridge when you hit Fayetteville, run on up 19 and check it out.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:49 AM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was on the WV side on Sunday & Monday and continued on through Rt 60. It is good. Like the previous poster said, try to ride during a Sunday, as the truckers present a hazard and I noticed a big difference. There is bridge work being done just past where 16 meets 60 in the town Glen Ferris, so stay on 16... THe riding is awesome in that area and I will be going back. Black Hills have nothing on that area.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Harley99
Cruiser

I rode it at the first of summer,very nice and krooked!!!!Some of the area's on 16 was like going back in time.A local said they call it no man's land and asked me if i had a gun.I had no problems but i did keep an ear out fer banjo music LOL

Old 10-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Snuffy1
Cruiser

A group of rode the area for eight days in September. Roads are ok and very beautiful area. Like others have said do the speed limit through the small towns.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:25 PM
pled55
Road Master

Originally Posted by Olde Skool
Planning a ride that will take us "over the hills and through the woods" on Route 16 next week. Have heard this road referred to as the "Dragon's Back" and is rated an 8.7 on a 10 scale (Deals Gap is an 8.6) on www.motorcycleroads.com

We want to ride Route 16 beginning at the intersection of US 58 in Virginia and ending at the intersection I-79 in West Virginia.

Have any of you folks traveled this particular route lately? I am curious about the pavement conditions on Route 16 specifically. Is it a pothole filled pig path, or a decent and fairly good road?

Hopefully, the link below from Google Maps will display the route:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,11.590576&z=7

Thanks for any comments!

did skyline drive this past monday and tuesday .rode from jersey down and back .don't know
if that is in the same area but the roads were great .amazing the differance in road conditions from one state to another.cause jersey roads got to be the worst

Old 10-17-2010, 06:48 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Thumbs up

Thanks for the information everyone. Hopefully the coal trucks won't be too much of a problem as the plan is to ride 16 on Friday to Beckley, then continue on Saturday and spend the night in Elkins. From there we will run US 250 back to Staunton, VA and then on toward home. Been wanting to do this ride for a year or more.

Harley99: I ain't squealing like a pig for nobody! LOL
DuraGlide: We plan on stopping at New River Gorge HD so we prolly will roll across the bridge.

Anyone have additional comments? Thanks again and ride safely...

Old 10-17-2010, 07:18 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You must be goin' thru the change. The OS that I have come to know would have just blazed a trail to and over that route and then come back and given a report. Now he asks for road reports and pothole sightings. Guess you gotta plan your rides more carefully now so as not to aggravate the umm, 'roids on the ol' tushy. It is truly a sad day. Well anyway, have a great ride and at least do the speed limits so as not to **** off the people behind you for being an ol' Q-Tip and going too slow. Lata, bud.

Last edited by soos; 10-17-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:56 PM
Olde Skool
Road Captain

Originally Posted by soos
You must be goin' thru the change. The OS that I have come to know would have just blazed a trail to and over that route and then come back and given a report. Now he asks for road reports and pothole sightings. Guess you gotta plan your rides more carefully now so as not to aggravate the umm, 'roids on the ol' tushy. It is truly a sad day. Well anyway, have a great ride and at least do the speed limits so as not to **** off the people behind you for being an ol' Q-Tip and going too slow. Lata, bud.
Jim,

I shoulda known when I asked for additional comments that it could get ugly. Yer more full of it than a plump Thanksgiving turkey stuffed with homemade oyster dressing! However, you are correct...

Just figgered it was "better safe than sorry". Thinking the cell phone won't work worth a flip up "in the woods" incase we hit some road debris or other unexpected BS of some sorts. Sounds like the coal trucks and banjo players might slow us down but, I have packed the Preparation-H, baby wipes, and my Colt Delta Elite to prevent my rump from chafing. Have been called an a-hole a time or three, but don't have any roids. Yet... LOL

Put a new E-3 on the front two weeks ago. Today I changed fork, tranny, engine, and primary oils. Checked the torques on every fastener I could get a socket or allen wrench on, and cleaned the air filter. Pretty much ready to rock!!

Looks as though the weather is gonna play nice Thursday through Sunday. Might be a 'lil chilly up on the mountain early and late in the day.

Hey, it just dawned on me that quite possibly you were busting my chops because it is too cold up there and your candy *** ain't riding now. Get'cha a nice stack of firewood and give me a ring in the spring.

Keep the rubber side down Bro!

Last edited by Olde Skool; 10-17-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:21 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I travel on part of 16 in Va. weekly. The stretch from 58 to Marion is in great shape.