Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, I Need Lower Seat I think

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006 | 10:18 PM
Nellybelle
|
Road Warrior
Default Help, I Need Lower Seat I think

Hi Everyone,

OK, I read some previous post regarding lowering the bike or changing seats. I just took delivery of a 2007 Ultra classic last wednesday. I will ride two up a lot and some long trips but I will also ride by myself. Problem is I am 325lb. and the wife is about 150lb. I don't want any trouble with bottoming out. However I am 55yrs old and 6'1" but I can't help from dragging my right foot across the seat when I dismount. May have had a small stoke at one time and I have reduced fexibilty with my right leg. I kind of do a step through when I get on and really have no prolems there.

Of course I don't want to rip the seat and we need to bike to ride solid when both of us are on it. I have not adjusted the air shocks yet and they are set as they were when I picked up the bike. Other than the seat issue I love they bike. Sould I replace the seat or lower the bike. My feet fit flat whenever I stop it is just a dismounting issue. Any help will be appreciated.

Old 09-16-2006 | 10:38 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Default RE: Help, I Need Lower Seat I think

Sundowner is low, wide and comfortable. Check this out >>> www.dragginbaggers.com !

Old 09-16-2006 | 10:48 PM
MACK
Road Warrior

You are not going to like this. Do neither. Air up the shocks to about 26 pounds. I suggest if you cant manage look into the dragging bagger thing bounty hunter recommends. you could slam the bike for getting on and off. that is probably your best solution because you and your wife are heavy enough to overload the bike and I dont care who says what:if you lower the suspension with that kind of weight you are going to bottom out a lot. I would definitely look into the the draggin bagger.

Old 09-16-2006 | 10:59 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member

Go to the Corbin website and take a look at the Dual Tour seat. These are lower profile than what you have now and offer much more comfort. Plus they are leather and can take a boot kick every now and again. The high density foam is a much better solution to all day comfort than the Harley approach. As always, JMO.

Old 09-17-2006 | 12:24 AM
Mick
Road Warrior

Hey Nelly , I think Mack said it best.
You may just have to max your settings on the tires and suspension for the weight you will carry.
Another idea that works for me sometimes when I'm real tired after a ride , before you dismount , put your right foot on the right passenger board , grab your ankle with your right
hand and lift your foot over the seat.
I'm only 5'9" and ride a full height Glide , but it works.
I know it looks funny , but other riders I've ridden with tried it and like it also , and yes it looks funny , so what.
We all ride and that's all that matters.
Enjoy.......
Mick

Old 09-17-2006 | 12:54 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

I to face a simalar situation, as far as scuffing the seat,,, only I had surgery,,,, a cure would be leg stretches every morn and eve,, eventually , a few months,, leg should swing over clean.

Old 09-17-2006 | 01:12 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member

Go to Wally World and buy yourself a Rubbermaid stool.

All kidding aside, I have seen big guys mount and dismount from the right side by grasping the front brake, stepping on the right foot board with yout right foot and stepping over the seat with the left foot. I mount and dismount this way but I am also only 165#. But as I have said I got the idea from watching other bigger guys. Just keep your weight shifted towards the lean of the bike.

Old 09-17-2006 | 09:22 AM
Yoman
Tourer

Noticed you said you had problems with your right leg. Try mounting from the right side. After I put on my drivers back rest, I had a problem steping through from the left with my right leg. My brother-n-law suggested I try from the right. No problem mounting from the right. Just step through and slide into the seat.

Yoman

Old 09-17-2006 | 02:08 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member

I sent you a PM NelleBelle

Old 09-17-2006 | 06:05 PM
Nellybelle
|
Road Warrior

Thanks to all who replied. Today I practiced getting on and off by standing on the right floorboard. It worked pretty well but I am still considering other options. Maybe I will loose a hundred pounds getting on and off all the time. Besides that the son of a gun is heavy but I am slowly building confidence.

I am interested in increaseing the air in my shocks as Mack and Mick suggested. Would like to know more. My dealer told me not to use my air compressor in my barn because it may provide too much outlet pressure. I can adjust it to a lower level. What are standard levels in the shock and what limits ahould I watch out for. How will increasing the pressure effect my ride both solo and 2 up?

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Help, I Need Lower Seat I think