Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Cruise Control install on '10 King

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:16 AM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default HD Cruise Control install on '10 King

Hi all,

I was able to get a great deal on a new 2010 Road king, but it came without cruise control... I'd like to order it at some point, but wondering if the installation needs to be done by the dealer, or is it something I can do myself... I replaced the handlebars myself with no issues, and saw what I think is the plug/harness for the cruise control as part of the TBW wiring inside the handlebars.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2010, 11:28 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pick up a SM and do it yourself.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:45 PM
RodeDawg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can do it yourself. I did. But a dealer has to 'initialize' it before it will work.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:01 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RodeDawg
You can do it yourself. I did. But a dealer has to 'initialize' it before it will work.
Interesting... do they initialize the CC unit, or the bike? More importantly, do they charge for the initialization?

Any tips on installation? Any gotchas you can share?

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2010, 03:29 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I just nstalled Cruise in teh wife's Softail this past winter, we got the kit from http://www.customizedcycles.com/softail_cruise/ and the only real difference in thier kit, and the HD one, are the cables.

Initilization was something I did myself. I honestly don't believe you need to have the dealer do it, unless they don't give you the instructions as to how to perform this very simple operation.

The kit I used contained the HD module, HD controls, different lenght cables, and wiring harness. Install was pretty straight forward and took me about 8 hours (taking my time and double, triple checking everything as I went)

Old 10-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
I just nstalled Cruise in teh wife's Softail this past winter, we got the kit from http://www.customizedcycles.com/softail_cruise/ and the only real difference in thier kit, and the HD one, are the cables.

Initilization was something I did myself. I honestly don't believe you need to have the dealer do it, unless they don't give you the instructions as to how to perform this very simple operation.

The kit I used contained the HD module, HD controls, different lenght cables, and wiring harness. Install was pretty straight forward and took me about 8 hours (taking my time and double, triple checking everything as I went)
Totally different on a touring bike with throttle by wire. It is a much simpler (and way cheaper) installation.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:36 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just added cruise to my bike while changing out my bars. Just got it activated by the dealer yesterday for free if you can believe that. Don't know how I've went this long without it.

Do it yourself, not hard at all. Although, you should have done it when you did your bars.

I don't know if it's different on a '10, but the whole right control has to be replaced which means if you have internally wired your bars, it needs to be done all over again. Besides adding the cruise switch to the fairing cap and wiring it into the harness. That's how it was on my '09 EGS.

Old 10-16-2010, 04:25 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by r8rs4lf
I just added cruise to my bike while changing out my bars. Just got it activated by the dealer yesterday for free if you can believe that. Don't know how I've went this long without it.

Do it yourself, not hard at all. Although, you should have done it when you did your bars.

I don't know if it's different on a '10, but the whole right control has to be replaced which means if you have internally wired your bars, it needs to be done all over again. Besides adding the cruise switch to the fairing cap and wiring it into the harness. That's how it was on my '09 EGS.
Depends on where you live. If flat throttle lock works just fine but if I could afford it I would have it in a heartbeat.