Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Fender Trim

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front Fender Trim

Hey guys,
Another post had me thinking about front fender trim again, rather than hijacking it I'll start a new post.

I have an 07 FLHTCU with a lowered front fender and the bumper removed. I would like to replace the lower trim with something different. With the fender lowered, I don't really need the added length of the "skirt" I like the lower small trim on the Softail Deluxe, and wonder if it would fit on the bottom of my Ultra front fender? If not, is there an after market part that would fit?

Attached Thumbnails Front Fender Trim-lowered-front-finder.jpg   Front Fender Trim-softail-deluxe-fender.jpg  
Old 10-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I didn't think the skirt was any longer than the fender.
There are several different styles of skirts but if you take it off, won't there be 6 holes in your fender about 3" from the bottom of the fender.

I could be wrong about the lenght.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master

I thought the holes are at the bottom of the fender, maybe I need to take a look tonight when I get home.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
I have an 07 FLHTCU with a lowered front fender and the bumper removed.
Hog Yild, I like the look of the Deluxe and think it would cool on your bike. But I have a question. I put a clean SG fender on my RK, how did you lower your fender? Might look cool for my bike. Sorry to change the subject, kind of.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:07 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

HY, I've seen the Deluxe rear fender chrome trim installed on a SG fender and it looked good. Check the screw holes' locations for height above the bottom edge of your fender, and the distance of the most forward screw hole to the fender's front edge. You may find that the holes, particularly the forward one (because of the Deluxe's taper at the front), won't be covered by the Deluxe trim piece.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 10-18-2010, 03:28 PM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
HY, I've seen the Deluxe rear fender chrome trim installed on a SG fender and it looked good. Check the screw holes' locations for height above the bottom edge of your fender, and the distance of the most forward screw hole to the fender's front edge. You may find that the holes, particularly the forward one (because of the Deluxe's taper at the front), won't be covered by the Deluxe trim piece.

Good luck with your project.

Carl
Looking at a Deluxe at the dealer last weekend, you are correct the front holes would be left exposed

Old 10-18-2010, 04:54 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Different fenders. Won't work...
I tried it already with my bagger and softail.
Good thought though.

Last edited by VTwin-Goodies; 10-18-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I checked the parts manual and the holes in the back of the lower finder are at the bottom edge. The trim skirt holes are at the top, so it does extend the back if the fender down.

I bet it would look good if the lower skirt was black power coated on a black fender.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:43 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pumba11
Hog Yild, I like the look of the Deluxe and think it would cool on your bike. But I have a question. I put a clean SG fender on my RK, how did you lower your fender? Might look cool for my bike. Sorry to change the subject, kind of.
I was looking online for the kit I used. I think it was this company. The plates look right and it was bolt on, but it didn't come with all the drills. Just the plates, spacers and assorted bolts & nuts. It was about half that price.

http://www.twrbaggersplus.com/front_fender_lowerin.html

Most of the plate is hidden when mounted on the bike, I bought some matching touch up paint and clear coat in spray cans and painted the plates. I didn't use the spacers and small round headed screws that attach the plates top the fenders. I made some stainless steel spacers and polished them to a mirror finish. And the screws, I bought some stainless steel replacements and polished the heads too.

Last edited by Hog Yild; 10-19-2010 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:23 AM
FXSTS-88
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What do you think of using a 'FatBoy' front fender and just leaving the trim off completely? H-D makes a kit to swap them out.

Quick Reply: Front Fender Trim